Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code -8076 Moving Time Machine Files

I'm trying to move my Time Machine backups from one parition (named Backup Disk) on my external hard drive to the other partition (named Storage Disk). It is important I do so as to make space to now use the for the new Carbon Copy Cloner backups. It is worth mentioning when that I want everything on the Storage Disk parition to be safe and not to get deleted at any point, manually or otherwise.

The problem I have is that I seem to I have permission issues. I tried to unlocked the one files and apply setting to enclosed items.

Finder came up with this message and I don't know what to do now... "An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076)."

All help very much appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 4:20 AM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2013 7:21 AM in response to darkhorse85

1. Open Disk Utility.
  2. Select the disk you want to duplicate, and then click Restore.
  3. Drag the disk you want to duplicate to the Source field.

You can drag it from the list at the left or from the Finder.

4. Drag the disk that will contain the copy to the Destination field.

If you can’t drag a particular disk to that field, you can’t copy to it. If it’s your startup disk, start up your computer with another disk, such as an OS X installation disc. All the contents of the destination disk will be erased.

5. Click the Restore button.

Mar 6, 2013 12:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

If you can’t drag a particular disk to that field, you can’t copy to it. If it’s your startup disk, start up your computer with another disk, such as an OS X installation disc. All the contents of the destination disk will be erased.

Well the Destination does has enough free space, but unfortunately it also has important files on which I cannot move.If it was not for this, I'm sure that would have resolved my problem.

Is there another way I can duplicate my 'Backup Disk' partition without erasing the content of the Destination, the 'Storage Disk' partition.

Thanks again Linc.

Mar 6, 2013 12:48 PM in response to darkhorse85

Well the Destination does has enough free space, but unfortunately it also has important files on which I cannot move.

If you don't have backups of those files, you're going to lose them anyway, sooner or later. Do the copy, then restore the other files from a backup. Apple recommends that a Time Machine volume not be used to store other data. Otherwise, you can try CCC or "SuperDuper."

Mar 6, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

The majority of those files I mentioned are my backups. Unfortunately I don't have 600gb of free space and I can't afford a new external hard drive. That's why I can't move them.

Apple recommends that a Time Machine volume not be used to store other data.

It is likely I will no longer be Time Machine using once I start using CCC. The current parition that is being used for my Time Machine is exclusively used Time Machine and nothing else. After moving the files I will then use this parition as exclusively CCC.

There must be another I move the Time Machine files without having to erase where they're going into? Thanks.

Error code -8076 Moving Time Machine Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.