Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up my Mac Book Pro Retina Display without having it on. Meaning can it back up in sleep mode?

I have 2 Mac Book Pros and one Mac book Air. I wanted to know if I can back up all files on all systems with time capsule.
I dont have itme to manually sync all of the all the time. Can it back up when its in sleep mode?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:20 AM

Time Machine works when the computer is operational, not off or sleeping...does not do backups while the computer is in sleep mode.

6 replies

Mar 2, 2013 5:20 AM in response to chaitanyacotha

You can back up your MacBook Pro with Retina display while it's in sleep mode (not turned off) if you have turned on Power Nap.

Also, you can back up all the Macs you want to one Time Capsule, always that you have enough storage on it. Also, you can back up the rest of your Macs in sleep mode if they are compatible with Power Nap. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5394

Can I back up my Mac Book Pro Retina Display without having it on. Meaning can it back up in sleep mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.