Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash still doesn't work with Safari.

I've done this repeatedly. Flash still doesn't work with Safari. It does work with Firefox and Chrome.

I deleted the Flash plugin from Library>Internet Plugins. That didn't solve the problem either.

What can I try next? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:30 AM

29 replies

Mar 2, 2013 5:50 AM in response to leaudulac

Flash version 11.6.602.171 (current) works just fine on my Mountain Lion implementation, and in Safari and Firefox. Chrome rolls its own built-in Flash content.

If you downloaded and installed Flash from Adobe's official Flash download site, it will work.

If you have the Flash Player Preference panel under System Preferences Other, then you can have it go fetch the latest flash installer. Under the (Flash panel) Advanced tab, select Check Now. Once it starts downloading the Flash Installer, exit all browsers and System Preferences. Empty your browser's cache before installing Flash. If you try to install Flash with System Preferences, or a browser open, it will fail.

If you have several Safari plug-ins and extensions installed, one or more of these may not be compatible with Flash Player. If you have Click-to-Flash installed, it would block your Flash content.

Mar 20, 2013 10:04 AM in response to jiminey

I also have the same problem. Installed Flash 11 from the official site, and neither radio or YouTube plays any more. It says I must install Flash, which I have. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the older version, but Safari seems to have been mucked up by the newer version having been installed. I am running Safari 5.1.8. I can't find a way of uninstalling it or a download to reinstall. Chrome works OK with the new version of Flash, but I prefer Safari and would like to carry on using it.

Mar 31, 2013 7:02 PM in response to leaudulac

I've been traveling and regfregt not fololowing up sooner. I have succeeded in finding the version of flash which is recommended for my particular configuragion in archived files (my mac pro is 2008 vintage with some sort of pc processor?). accordingly 10.1etc is my maximum upgrade. But aqpple won't allow the download because it is neither purchased from the apple store, nor from a site recognized. In other words the built in security won't let me upgrade flash player. what and how do I disable protections to allow the installation?

Apr 4, 2013 2:20 PM in response to jiminey

jiminey,

Go into "System Preferences" and select "Security & Privacy". Go to the "General" tab. You will have to unlock the page to make any changes, but you can select to download and install applications from "Anywhere" here. I suggest that you set this back to one of the other two choices after installing Flash.

Apr 4, 2013 3:35 PM in response to jiminey

my mac pro is 2008 vintage with some sort of pc processor

If you have a Mac with a PowerPC processor (check About This Mac in the Apple menu), then there isn't a secure version of Flash available to you. But, then, you wouldn't be able to be running Mountain Lion. You would be able to run Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x) at most. If you are running Snow Leopard, it will not allow you to run a known vulnerable version of Flash, but there isn't a safe version of Flash for your hardware... thus the dilemma.

There really isn't a decent solution for you. Honestly, you would be taking great risks running an outdated version of Flash at this point anyway. There are known exploits out there that can and will take advantage of that to install malware on your machine.

Note that silvergc's recommendation will not help you. Those directions involve disabling a feature of Mountain Lion, not any previous system, and that feature does not block a legit Adobe Flash Player installer anyway.

I'd recommend moving further discussion of this particular issue to a new topic, as this topic is in the Mountain Lion forum, and thus is not the best place for finding answers relating to Snow Leopard on a PowerPC Mac. 🙂

Apr 4, 2013 3:43 PM in response to leaudulac

Flash still doesn't work with Safari. It does work with Firefox and Chrome.

Chrome includes its own copy of Flash, and is thus independent of whatever version of Flash you have installed.

As for Firefox, though, it should be using the same Flash plugin as Safari. If Flash is working in Firefox, but not Safari, that indicates that you have a problem with Safari. Try going to the Safari menu and choose Reset Safari. Leave all options checked and click the Reset button. If that doesn't work, look in the Extensions pane of Safari's preferences... what's in there? Also, triple-click (to select) and copy the following command, then paste it into the Terminal (search for it with Spotlight if you can't find it) and press return:

ls -al ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins; ls -al /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins

What is displayed in the Terminal window after you do that?

Apr 4, 2013 6:13 PM in response to thomas_r.

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 CANONiMAGEGATEWAYDL.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 DRM Plugin.bundle

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 DirectorShockwave.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Mar 2 08:17 Disabled Plug-Ins

drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 23 00:43 Flash Player.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 5 root wheel 170 Sep 1 2012 Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 25 2012 JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Jun 20 2012 Quartz Composer.webplugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Mar 19 23:30 QuickTime Plugin.plugin

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel 68 Sep 1 2012 RealPlayer Plugin.plugin -> /Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Apr 11 2012 Silverlight.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 ebldetect.bundle

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 856 Feb 28 21:45 flashplayer.xpt

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

drwxrwxrwx 3 root wheel 102 Sep 1 2012 npgtpo3dautoplugin.plugin

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 2394 Jul 21 2012 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

Apr 4, 2013 6:54 PM in response to leaudulac

Wow! You've got a LOT of internet plug-ins installed! That could very well be the source of the problem... there may be some conflicts going on there.

I don't have Flash or Java installed, or any other third-party internet plug-ins. Here's what my results are:

total 0 drwx------+ 2 thomas staff 68 Jan 8 10:48 . drwx------+ 55 thomas staff 1870 Apr 4 18:48 .. total 8 drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Jan 8 10:40 . drwxr-xr-x+ 61 root wheel 2074 Feb 2 09:15 .. lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 79 Jan 8 10:40 JavaAppletPlugin.plugin -> /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 20 2012 Quartz Composer.webplugin drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 20 2012 QuickTime Plugin.plugin -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2394 Jan 8 10:34 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

So, I have nothing in the Internet Plug-Ins folder in my user folder, and only four items in the one in the root level Library folder.

I would suggest that you remove all but those, then reinstall Flash and see what happens. (Be sure to quit and restart Safari after doing that.) If that works, you can then reinstall any of the other plugins that you can't live without, one at a time from an up-to-date installer, testing for a while afterward to make sure everything continues working.

Flash still doesn't work with Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.