Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight search will no longer search SMS after upgrade to 6.1.2

After recently upgrading to 6.1.2, I can no longer use the Spotlight search to find old text messages. I rely on text messaging heavily both personally and professionally… This is quite troublesome. Spotlight still seems to work fine on emails and contacts. The issue seems to only be limited to text messages. Can someone please help?

iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 7:52 AM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Cmnelson00

Similar problem. the search function can find words in the text contents but cannot find the names of the people the messages were sent to. For exemple if I search for "Brad" it doesn't pull any of the texts I sent to Brad. but if I search for "drum" if finds all the texts where the word "drum" was mentioned. This is happening only on my iphone 5. I have an iPhone 4 with 6.1.2 and the search function is working correctly. Anyone else?

Mar 30, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Cmnelson00

There are quite a few posts online about this issue. Seems the problem varies between not working at all and only finding some of the relevant messages. For me the problem is in messages search.

I have been searching and only finding a few of the messages that fit the criteria, a manula search often found the other messages.

I have been into Settings/General/Spotlight Search and deselected all the options, then went back and selected only Messages, this seems to have worked, I'm certainly finding more messages now than I was.

Seems it is a memory issue, I suspect the search function struggles when there are a lagre number of messages.

Spotlight search will no longer search SMS after upgrade to 6.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.