Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two monitors behave weird when started from Sleep

Hello all,

I have a MacMini 3.1, 2.26GHz Core2Duo, 6Gb RAM, OS X 10.8.2, NVIDIA GeForce9400 256 Mb.

Initially the MAC has use one LG LCD 17" wide monitor. Recently I bought a 19" Philips LCD monitor.

At this time I have two monitors connected on it. One LG LCD 17" wide and a Philips 19". The Philips is connected using MiniDVI2VGA adapter, the LG is connected using MiniDisplay2VGA adapter. Both are working perfect. However, everytime I start computer from Sleep, the LG is loosing its settings. The system no longer recognize it. When I go to Display, instead of seing it as W190 it is showing that is a VGA display. None of the resolutions listed are the one my LG is using (1440x900). The closest is 1440x1050. The background also dissapears showing me the one of the system's background. The only way I can make it to look correctly is shuting down the computer and then restarting it. I tried:

1. Log out then log in. No results.

2. Restart in SafeMode.

3. SMC and PRAM reset.

4. I installed Onyx and did a full automated cleaning operation.

None of the above worked.

The only way to make it working is to reboot. No restart. Just Shut down then Start.

iBook Author-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 6:17 AM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2013 1:55 AM in response to den.thed

Hello den.thed,

I thank you for your reply. Please take into account that I do not have much of hardware knowledges. However, from what I was explained those adapters single job is actually to convert the digital video signal (DVI) in an analog video signal (VGA). So, I found hard to believe that those adapters are to blame. MiniDVI adapter to VGA has 100% Apple pedigree. The mini display to VGA is a no name. I admit.

Also from both monitors, only Philips has VGA and DVI input options. The LG has only 2 VGA inputs.

On the other hand, back to few years ago, I had a similar situation using a Windows notebook Toshiba and the same LG monitor. It behaved the same. When starting notebook from sleep most of the time the LG could not be recognized by Windows. Those from Windows suggested that time to either update my video card drivers (which they were up to date) or upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Which I did but the issue didn't solved at all.

Another opinions were that my video card was to weak for supporting two monitors. I cannot recall what brand it was but definetely was slightly bigger than this one from the MAC. That one had 128 Mb of its own and 256 Mb from computer's 2Gb RAM.

Now, without any intention to offend you, could it be possibly that the video card to be to weak for two monitors? Upgrading to a new OS I cannot since I have the latest. As far as I know all drivers are up to date.

In the meantime I stoped my MAC from entering in Sleep mode which I am not to happy about. I might as well try to shut down the LG monitor before entering in Sleep, but I doubt that might be working. I assume that my issue is related by the video signal sent/received, not whether the monitor is ON or OFF.

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Message was edited by: sebdea

Mar 3, 2013 8:20 AM in response to den.thed

Hi den.thed,

Now that we are disscussing this matter I've noticed a pattern.

1. The LG never beahed that way when it was the only display on MAC mini and was connected using miniDVI2VGA adapter.

2. When I got Philips it was installed from the beginning on mini display port. And he behaved like LG when computer woke up from Sleep. Meaning the system do not recognize it. I switch them in the ports, making Philips my main display and moving the dock on it.

So, in the end it might be the adapter? However, on Windos I do not used any adapter connecting LG. Just its VGA cable.

I intend to buy another Philips so both have the same calibration and look. ... and perhaps I need to buy an original mini display adapter.

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Mar 3, 2013 9:20 AM in response to den.thed

Hi Dennis,

I will do that. First, I am going to buy, an original, either mini display to DVI adapter (for Philips) or a mini display to VGA adapter. If the LG behave the same then is not the adapter. The Philips will come in a month or two no matter what since I found it hardly to make both displays looking as close as possible.

Thank you for your time and I will get back shortly.

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Two monitors behave weird when started from Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.