Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilding Iphoto

I have iphoto-11. When I hold down control comman to rebuild, i have the choice of 5 different rebuilt libraries. Is there any way to combine these libraries? Are they duplicate photos or could there be different photos in each library? I deleted some files in Pictures and I am concerned that these may be the same files that underly iphoto. If I need to rebuild, do I need to rebuilt all 5 libraries?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:11 AM

Your post is not clear

Depressing the command and options keys and launching iHoto does not give you any option to choose a library - it offers first aid options for the currently selected library

Depressing only the option key and launching iPhoto gives you the option of selecting a library

Each library is totally independent of any other library - if you have multiple libraries and want to combine them you can do it with Aperture or the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - you can not do it with iPhoto

By default (and strongly ecommended) when you improt photos to iPhoto they are copied to the iPhoto library so any photo outside of iPhoto can be deleted safely

Please try to explain more concisely

LN

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2013 10:11 AM in response to jlieb1000

Your post is not clear

Depressing the command and options keys and launching iHoto does not give you any option to choose a library - it offers first aid options for the currently selected library

Depressing only the option key and launching iPhoto gives you the option of selecting a library

Each library is totally independent of any other library - if you have multiple libraries and want to combine them you can do it with Aperture or the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - you can not do it with iPhoto

By default (and strongly ecommended) when you improt photos to iPhoto they are copied to the iPhoto library so any photo outside of iPhoto can be deleted safely

Please try to explain more concisely

LN

Mar 2, 2013 3:06 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for responding. I seem to get the same choices when hold down control & option as I do when I hold down just option so you are responding to the correct question. I will definitely get the iphoto manager. I have another question. I am cleaning up my photos to organize and free up space. I am not using my Raw CR2 photos and they use up a lot of space. I tried deleting them from my Pictures folder and some were locked. I then deleted them from iphoto. I still can't get some of the ones to delete from iphoto. Does anyone know how to delete them?

Also, I read in one of the posts that I may have corrupted my iphoto library by deleting photos in the Pictures folder. Is this correct? Are the actual files for iphoto stored in Pictures? I probably need to rebuild my iphoto library. Should I rebuild each of them before I use the iphoto Library Manager?

JL

Mar 2, 2013 3:19 PM in response to jlieb1000

Assuming that you have the default setting to copy imported items to the iPhoto library then you can delete anything anywhere except in the iPhoto library - you have no need for copies outside of iPhoto

Never make any changes of any sort to the structure of content of the iPhoto library

There is no way to "delete RAW" originals in iPhoto - if you do not want RAW then shoot JPEG (you can export the photos as JPEGS, delete them in iPhoto and then import the JPEG but this is not really a good way to go for many reasons)

To delete a photo from iPhoto select it in an event and press the delete key (or drag it to the iPhoto trash) and empty the iPhoto trash and then the system trash

As to the issue with the same results you are using the wrong keys - it is not Control and option - it is Command and option

Depressing the command and options keys and launching iPhoto does not give you any option to choose a library - it offers first aid options for the currently selected library

LN

Mar 3, 2013 8:14 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks again. I am getting more clarity. What about the RAW photos in the "Pictures" folder? I am having trouble deleting those photos.

Also, sometimes when I pull up a photo in the Pictures file it automatically start loading the picture into iphoto. Since I don't want the RAW photos in iphoto. How do I stop that from happening?

JL

Mar 3, 2013 3:11 PM in response to jlieb1000

What about the RAW photos in the "Pictures" folder? I am having trouble deleting those photos.

You need to do it correctly - since you tell us nothing at all about how you are deleting or twhat the problem is no one can say

The way to delete photos from your mac (not form iPhoto) is to drag them to the system trash and empty the trash

Also, sometimes when I pull up a photo in the Pictures file it automatically start loading the picture into iphoto. Since I don't want the RAW photos in iphoto. How do I stop that from happening?

again with no information one can only make wild guesses - if by "pulling up a photo" you mean connecting a camera then you simply need to go to the iPhoto preferences and set action when a comera is connected to what you want - probably open Image capture or do nothing

LN

Mar 3, 2013 6:32 PM in response to jlieb1000

The RAW photos files are on my hard drive in the "My Pictures" folder. I have accessed them through the Finder menu and I have tried to delete them by dragging them to the trash. When I do this I get a pop-up box that says "Finder wants to make changes - please enter your password". When I enter my password nothing happens. The files are not deleted. I have been successful in deleting some files this way but some will not delete. I thought it might be a permissions issue so I tried a Password Reset software but that didn't help. I hope that is clearer.

JL

Mar 4, 2013 5:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

Not sure what Boot Camp volume or home folder is but my "My Pictures" folder is actually in the "Pictures" folder. This might be part of the problem. At one point when I was searching for photos I found that some of my pictures were in "My Pictures" so to look at these in the same place, I move the "My Pictures" into "Pictures". I am now not sure where the "My Pictures" is supposed to be located. Interestingly, it was easier to delete the RAW photos from the "Pictures"folder. I did have to delete all the JPGs and the RAWs in the pictures folder and then move the JPGs back to the "Pictures"folder from the trash.

JL

Mar 4, 2013 6:15 AM in response to jlieb1000

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

ls -@Oaeln Pi*/My*

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Rebuilding Iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.