Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Can not Get Mail. The user name or password for "apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect.

Hello, my name is Agnes. I am facing the same problem on my iPhone 5. I already follows the instruction on apple support and repeat to delete my yahoo account on my iphone and add it again after changing my yahoomail password on web mail log on (almost 10 times) . I also tried to reset my apple ID password, but nothing change. I still can not add a new yahoomail to my iPhone.

Does anybody know what should i do. I really need to set up my yahoomail on my iPhone.

Thanks before.

Agnes

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:46 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Agnesia A

You need to check your settings in the email app.

For yahoo email, a quick google search shows:

1. To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:

• Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    • Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    • Incoming Port: 993 (requires SSL)
    • Outgoing Port: 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
    • User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
    • Password: the password you use to log in to Yahoo! with.
  2. Note: If your Yahoo! Mail address does not match your Yahoo! ID, you will need to use the beginning of your Yahoo! Mail address when you set up your client. For example, if your Yahoo! Mail address is "jim@yahoo.com," but your Yahoo! ID is "james," you will need to use "jim" as your user name when setting up the IMAP client.

There also is a free app Yahoo Mail in the AppStore that may make it easier to setup. If neither of the above

works for you, please repost with the exact wording of any error message received and someone will answer.

Mar 3, 2013 2:39 AM in response to imobl

Hello,

I already follow your intsruction. But i don not know how to go to the "Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) " on my phone.

I only go to : setting --> mail, contact, calender --> accounts : yahoo --> and then "account" and suddenly in the passwords section already filled with a password which is totally not mine because the numerical letter is fewer than the real one. And then i go to outgoing mail server, there are the primary server " Yahoo! SMTP Server " which is already "on" but i can not edit the information in the outgoing mail server.

besides that, there is also other SMTP server which is :

1. smtp.gmail.com (editable)

2. i also add a new server whic is : "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" with my username and password. I also clicked on for the SSL and the server port is 465.

I did all the instruction after i reset all the setting on my iPhone 5. But nothings happened. I still can not access my yahoomail. And it still says that the "apple.imap.mail.yahoo." is incorrect.

Do you have any other suggestion or did i make a wrong stepps?

Thank you so much in advance .

Agnes

Mar 8, 2013 10:17 AM in response to Agnesia A

Hai everyone,

it's almost a week when i decided to download the yahoo! app for iphone in order to have yahoomail app on my iphone. Because all the advices and solution didn't worked out on my phone. I tried to delete the account and re add it.. change the password, reset setting . Me and my friend also tried to find the solution from the yahoomail account from laptop.. We change the port , password, etc, but nothing changed.

But now, i want to share my experience because i finnaly succed in solving the imap.mail.yahoo.com problem on my phone..

Yesterday, randomly i tried to add my yahoomail account on my friends's iphone 4s. And it worked! it can verify my account! and the incoming mail and outgoing is perfect.. so after i succed to have my account on her phone, i delete my account there. And after that, i tried to do it re add my yahoo account in my iphone.

I went to setting --> mail, contacts, calender --> and then new account --> Yahoo! ( i tried this one, although many solution before suggest to take the " other account" ) --> and it verified.. and all incoming mail and outgoing worked out perfectly..

So, now everything back to normal..

i think it's a weird solution, but it worked,, maybe some of you can try also.. 🙂

"Can not Get Mail. The user name or password for "apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.