Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" ExpressCard/34?

Greetings,

CAn anyone tell me of any SSD priducts that I can use in the ExpressCard/34 slot in my 2006 15.4" 233 Ghz Intel Core2Duo MacBook Pro?

Other than Usb or wireless cards, what have ypu been able to use this port for?

Please let me kn ASAP

Thank You,

Steven.hs

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 12:45 PM

There are digital camera card adapters that will go in that port.

11 replies

Mar 2, 2013 12:54 PM in response to Steven.hs

That's about it. Not much use except for USB 3 which is what I use mine for on my Dell E6420 notebook that only had USB 2 built into it.

Steven.hs wrote:

Greetings,

CAn anyone tell me of any SSD priducts that I can use in the ExpressCard/34 slot in my 2006 15.4" 233 Ghz Intel Core2Duo MacBook Pro?

Other than Usb or wireless cards, what have ypu been able to use this port for?

Please let me kn ASAP

Thank You,

Steven.hs

Mar 2, 2013 1:07 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi OGELTHORPE, and others reading here about Express Card.

My experience with Sonnet.

They manufacture a very interesting "Converter Box" to add an Express Card slot to Macs without it. The box connects to Thunderbolt. In this Box you can use eSata card and it works perfectly.

For some reason the USB3 Card does not work in this box even if it works in the original Express Card installed inside the older Mac Book Pro. This is from my experience. On the Sonnet HomePage it is crearly stated, even if not so easy to find at a quick look. I read this but anyway I wanted to test and the result is I have a 30€ USB3 express card which is useless. You are advised !

Mar 2, 2013 4:21 PM in response to Steven.hs

Same question but for MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2008

I have 128 SSD installed

Running Bootcamp/Win 7 and OSX 10.8.2

Looking for options to increase storage

Are there options to install a second internal SSD, or is the ExpressCard/34 SSD a better option?

Performance (read/write speed) is important for my work

Would be ideal if I could share the new storage between Windows and OSX

Any tips?

Aug 21, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Steven.hs

Hi There:

We have field experience with this group:

http://www.wintecind.com/features/FileMate/SSD/WF_ExpressCard_SSD.html

Here is someone's booting experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5irgXU_5XUE

The Express 34 is limited to 2.5GB access, so its NOT a true replacement for an INTERNAL SSD on 2011 and newer machines, but it DOES fly faster with everything than any internal HD drive.

The advantage in configuration ease and OSX install pays for the additional cost of an internal SSD of the same size + the migration/install time.

Regards,

MacBook Pro 15" ExpressCard/34?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.