i use google search bar but it brings up a yahoo 404 error

231 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 7:32 PM by Linc Davis RSS
leppared Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 2, 2013 2:36 PM

HTTP Status 404 - /search

type Status report

message /search

description The requested resource (/search) is not available.

If I reset everthing i can get it to go away but it eventualy returns. It seams to also effect my iphones.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,660 points)

From the menu bar, select

▹ System Preferences... ▹ Network ▹ Advanced... ▹ DNS

Under DNS Servers you should have one or more numerical addresses, such as “192.168.1.1” or “10.0.0.1”. What are those addresses?

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,660 points)

Please read this whole message and be sure you understand all of it before doing anything. Back up all data before making changes to your settings.

Write down the server addresses.

Click Cancel to close the Advanced sheet. Unlock the preference pane, if necessary, by clicking the lock icon in the lower left corner and entering your password. Open the DNS tab again and change the server addresses to the following:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

In Safari, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If you’re using another browser, empty the cache. Test. Any difference?

Notes:

1. If you lose Internet access after making the above change to your network settings, delete the Google servers in the Network preference pane, then select the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should restore the original DNS settings; otherwise restore them yourself.

2. I’m not advocating Google or anything else as a DNS provider; the server addresses are offerred merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.