Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7.0.3 Canon GL2 Operation could not be completed...no video

Having a problem with FCP version 7.0.3, on a MacPro1,1 (2007 2x dual-core Xeon 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM) running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Canon DM GL2 connected via Firewire.

These used to work together in the past, but not now.

What's changed: ran out of space on original HDD, installed fresh OS X 10.6.8 on larger HDD then used Migration Assistant to migrate user account and settings and applications including FCP7 and rest of the Final Cut Suite 3.0. FC suite then was uninstalled and re-installed. Still have the original HDD and same problem exists on it as well as on the new install. Same problem also exists when switching to a newly created user account that had never used FCP.

Have used the recommended setting of "DV-NTSC Firewire Basic" for this Canon DM GL2 camera (from Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 Supported Cameras web page)

When I select "Log and Capture" from the File menu, the new windows open, the color bars show in the preview area but "preview disabled" shows in a black bar across the color bars. I see [VTR OK] below the buttons that control the tape movement, click the Play button, the LCD screen on the camera starts to show the tape playback for about 5 seconds, the place where the video SHOULD show up just has Final Cut Pro and an Apple logo and "Waiting for Timecode" in the silver area benath the black region, and the spinning beachball is rotating for a few seconds before the error message appears: "This operation could not be completed as there is no video. [OK]".

Several weeks ago, this used to work on the old HDD, but since then the new OS was installed on a larger HDD and this problem has surfaaced. Problem also exists on the OLD HDD at this time as well.

How can this issue best be resolved? Any suggestions will be greatly applreciated

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 2:05 PM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2013 3:54 PM in response to blkdg2sf

Boy, what a blast from the past ...

Canons and firewire are an unstable mix at the best of times.

1. make sure there are no other devices using fire wire attached to the machine.

2. Make sure you have the correct match of settings on the camera and the easy setup in FCP.

3. Power down the computer, unplug all the firewire cables and pull the power cord from the wall. Wait 15-20 minutes while you enjoy a favorite cold beverage then reconnect things and try again. (this is known as the "Guiness or Harpoon solution")

x

Mar 4, 2013 10:02 AM in response to blkdg2sf

I have three GL-2s and see this issue from time-to-time... the good news is it's probably not your system or the hard drive; I had it on my G5 dualie (Tiger) and I have it on my 8x 3.2GHz Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) and it also occurs when I use a JVC deck, so it's probably not the camera either.

Over time, my work-around has distilled down to repairing permissions (just in case...) and removing and re-plugging the firewire connection. This seems to "jump start" the connection and gets things rolling again. I have no solid technical explanation but it's similar to what we've always done to re-establish a firewire connection if the device has been dismounted. I expect that it's rooted in the hot-pluggable attribute of firewire.

Hope this helps

FCP 7.0.3 Canon GL2 Operation could not be completed...no video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.