Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is everyone being forced to use iCloud now? Playlist/iPod issue.

Has anyone updated their iTunes profile lately? All of my playlists disappeared connot be recovered. So, fine it's time to make all new playlists - I can handle that.
But now the music I bought is being downloaded from iCloud, which I didn't subscribe to rather than loading from my hard drive. Is everyone being forced to use iCloud now, or was I somehow accidentally signed up? And if so, am I going to be charged for it? I have limited bandwidth, using a Nano MP3, am running XP, have no iPhone, no tablet, and do not use my Mac for music, can I go back to the way things were? Also, when I hook up my Nano I am kind of being prompted to delete my contents and do not see the option to check the new playlists for includion on iPod like I'm used to.

Windows XP

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 4:34 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2013 8:43 PM in response to iCouldIssue

No one is forced to use iTunes Match. It is an optional service. What you are seeing is the free iTunes in the Cloud service that allows you to re-download past purchases from the iTunes store from directly in the iTunes browser.

Unless you have deleted the music from the iTunes library there is no reason for the music you play to stream from the cloud.

Also, you can get the playlists back by retorting the iTunes Library.itl file from a backup. You do backup your personal data, don't you?

Mar 15, 2013 6:32 PM in response to iCouldIssue

My playlists disappeared again - I just made all new ones and had not had the chance to back them up yet, and all of my albums need to be redownloaded again - they all have the iCloud icon even though I have just finished downloading them all again. This is causing me too much wasted time and bandwidth. This is the second time that this has happened in the past few weeks. It appears that my account is being reset - I wonder if that is the problem? Also - the last four albums that I bought - If I download them from iCloud again, should they appear in my iTunes music folder? Because they don't.

Mar 15, 2013 11:54 PM in response to iCouldIssue

First, you are not downloading anything from "iCloud." When you download your purchased music in iTunes it is coming from the iTunes Store.

Second, Apple is not going to randomly reset your iTunes Store account.

Third, if music files you have donwloaded are actually disappearing from your computer HDD then you have a serious problem that is unrelated to iTunes, iTunes Match or iTunes in the Cloud that you need to diagnose and fix. I strongly recommend you backup all your personal data to an external HDD then find someone to help you find out what might be wrong to cause files to disappear from the internal HDD.

Is everyone being forced to use iCloud now? Playlist/iPod issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.