Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can one change the channel of a screen control within Mainstage?

The issue that I'm having is that some 3rd party apps (Dimension Pro in particular) seem to receive Sustain (64) messages on only Midi Channel 1

I'm using a multi zone controller, with sounds set in MainStage to respond to different channels. I've got it all working well except . . Dimension Pro won't "see" a controller message if it's sent from any channel other than channel 1.

I was even having the same problem with certain sounds in Kontakt.

So the question is . . how can one shift the channel of these messages over to channel 1?

Better question, how can I get Dimension Pro to respond to a controller on a channel other than 1, but I suspect this is not the forum for such questions!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

MacOS 10.7.3

MainStage 2.1.3

Axiom 61 (2nd gen) keyboard controller

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:55 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2013 10:12 AM in response to RockstarHealer

Hi

RockstarHealer wrote:

I'm using a multi zone controller, with sounds set in MainStage to respond to different channels. I've got it all working well except . . Dimension Pro won't "see" a controller message if it's sent from any channel other than channel 1.

I was even having the same problem with certain sounds in Kontakt.

How have you got all this setup within MS?

Generally, the in-coming MIDI channel should not matter, once you have assigned it to a screen control

CCT

Mar 5, 2013 10:53 AM in response to CCTM

CCTM wrote:

Generally, the in-coming MIDI channel should not matter, once you have assigned it to a screen control

Yes, exactly . . that's what I would have thought. But it's not working out that way.

For example, I have 4 keyboards set up within MainStage, to represent the 4 zones on my Axiom 61. I have a channel strip with Dimension Pro loaded for a horn patch set up on keyboard 3.

Dimension Pro will not respond to -any- controllers sent on that channel. Not sustain, not expression . . nothing. If I have the same channel strip set for keyboard 1, however, it all works fine.

I've tried setting the sustain pedal screen control specifically to that channel strip's controller 64, but this makes no difference. Same with any other controller. Most confounding.

Again, these all work fine for keyboard 1 (channel 1) but not at all on any other channel.

Apr 19, 2013 7:55 AM in response to RockstarHealer

You may be able to achieve the desired results by a different method. I have an Axiom, but I don't assign zones in it. I just send one zone to Mainstage and handle it all there. You can layer and or split a practically unlimited number of instruments and assign screen controls easily. You probably want to set up all screen controls at the concert level in layout mode. You can later override concert mapping in individaul patches if you want. For instance, you could use an expression pedal for volume(7) on one patch and for modulation(1) on another patch. You can send that control to one instument channel strip or you can choose to send to all. To do this, select a screen control in edit mode. In the screen control inspector, check the overide concert mapping box. You will then see two additional tabs-mappings and unmapped. Select the mappings tab. In the mapping list, double-click "Unmapped". You can the map the screen control to any single instrument channel strip in this list or send to all. Select one and then choose a mapping destination. If you want to map expression to one instrument and not others there's another way. Select an instrument channel strip, then selct MIDI input in the software channel strip inspector. Check the filter expression box. This instument will now not respond to expression, but the other intruments in this patch will. You can filter some other events on this page. The layer editor tab allows you full control ol splits and layering options of all your instruments in this patch. Hope this helps.

Apr 19, 2013 8:19 AM in response to lifenoise

lifenoise:

Thanks for your reply. I'm using different zones so I can turn layers on and off as I choose. That's the main thing. To have a pallette of different sounds that I can layer and mix as I please.

I realize I can certainly use some of the Axiom's buttons to achieve this same effect, by assigning the control to mute or unmute a channel strip, but for the most part I have those buttons assigned to other things already.

Still looking for a way to "channelize" the controller messages I'm talking about.

M

How can one change the channel of a screen control within Mainstage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.