Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i did not assign password for backup before, and now it ask for password for restore, how can i recover?

how can i know the password for restoring backup or i change it , knowing that i did not assign it before.

thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 6:10 AM

Well, you or someone had to elect to encrypt your backup. This can also be enforced by an Exchange account if you have such on your phone. Regardless:

If on a Mac, and you elected to save such to your Keychain, you can recover it from your Keychain. Otherwise, you can't.

While you can continue to sync/backup, if you can't remember it & want to remove it, you'll have to delete your existing backups & restore the phone as a new device. Your data will be unrecoverable.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2013 6:10 AM in response to Omara78

Well, you or someone had to elect to encrypt your backup. This can also be enforced by an Exchange account if you have such on your phone. Regardless:

If on a Mac, and you elected to save such to your Keychain, you can recover it from your Keychain. Otherwise, you can't.

While you can continue to sync/backup, if you can't remember it & want to remove it, you'll have to delete your existing backups & restore the phone as a new device. Your data will be unrecoverable.

Mar 4, 2013 7:33 PM in response to Omara78

Need password to restore your iPhone from backup! I have experienced such things.

When I need my apple iPhone 4 backup password to jailbreak! I read many suggestions from google search results, and tried a number of ways.

Finally, I obtained out of trouble with suggestion - used the "iPhone Backup Unlocker" to reset my encrypted iPhone backup password in iTunes! It is unbelievable for me personally! Just 3 clear steps! Now, my contact address, call logs, etc. are back!

Mar 15, 2013 4:00 AM in response to Omara78

Hi, are you using a Mac by any chance? If you set it up to be in the Keychain app you could get it back, here's another thread that helps much whenrecovering the password on a Mac. If on a Windows, you would do well to check if your backup is encrypted because of your work Exchange account. My friend though he lost the password and it turned out to be something he used for his work accounts, be sure to try all the password you regularly use. Gluck!

i did not assign password for backup before, and now it ask for password for restore, how can i recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.