Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean when it says my 3rd Party Mac Developer Installer certificate has expired and how do I stop it affecting the installation of new drivers, plug-ins and softwares?

Hi,

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I have just purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Studio bundle, for which I have to install USB Drivers, plug-ins, software etc, none of which are successfully installing and I don't understand why. Whenever i try to install the drivers and plug-ins, no explanation is given, all that happens is a large exclamation mark appears above the words 'The installation failed. An unknown installation error occurred. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance'. I have contacted the company I bought the product off, but am still waiting for a response.

Following that, I noticed a little icon in the top right corner of the installation box, which when I clicked on it, read as follows:

'3rd Party Mac Developer Installer: Focusrite Audio Engineering Ltd.

Issued by: Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority

Expired: Wednesday, 20 February 2013 14:38:10 United Kingdom Time

(x) This certificate has expired'

Please can somebody tell me what this means and whether that is what is obstructing the different instalments from successfully installing? And if so, what do I need to do to fix it?!

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated!

Thank you,

Georgia

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 10:43 AM

Its a glitch because of the age of the software. The certificates expire as the message tells you.

To work around this set your system date back to before the date the certificate expired and installed the program. Once the programs are installed you can set the date back to today.

5 replies

Mar 3, 2013 10:58 AM in response to georgiabu

To set the Date & Time go to System Preferences->Date & Time. Uncheck the Set date and time automatically box if it is checked and set the date to before the date in the message.

As for safety I have had to do this when installing old versions of Aperture Apples photo program and have not had any problems I would recommend you close all non-essential apps while doing this to minimize any weirdness. Also if you are running TM (or another backup program) I'd recommend turning those off while you do this.

Once you are done installing the software recheck the box if it was checked and the date and time should reset to today.. if not you can set them manually.

regards

What does it mean when it says my 3rd Party Mac Developer Installer certificate has expired and how do I stop it affecting the installation of new drivers, plug-ins and softwares?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.