Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my movies in Aperture show as corrupted

Since upgrading to Aperture 3.4.3 and Mountain Lion My Aperture will no longer display movies within Aperture.

Nor will it let me import movies from the Hard Drive.

Movies in Aperture are not playing and the previews are showing up as corrupted and are seen as

User uploaded file

I can view the movies in iMovie when viewing the Aperture library.

If I dig into where the files are located, the original movie file is there and plays fine

If I use iPhoto to view the Aperture library, the preview is corrupted as shown above, but it will play the movie

I've tried rebuilding my aperture db, rebuilding previews and I'm lost at what to do next.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 12:32 PM

The savest way to try to fix this would be to reinstall the system, but a quick and dirty way that helped in some cases is to restore a cache file, see

Re: Library doesn't play MOV-files on one computer, no problems on another.

and also this thread: Re: Import video to Aperture library on Mountain Lion

Regards

Léonie

13 replies

Mar 4, 2013 1:48 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

I've had the same problem after an Apple Programmed HD change and restore with a TM backup. I have replaced the com.apple.xpchelper.cache file from my MacBook Pro and it works. Only the preview are all corrupted and I don't know how to fix this. BTW, following your advise, I would like to reinstall the OS, but if I use my original CD I miss all the OS update and it will took a whole life for me. Have you any solution to do this?

Thanks

Massimiliano

Mar 4, 2013 6:41 AM in response to Massimiliano1

Massimiliano,

I am at the Airport changing planes right now and have only a poor internet connection.

What is your MacOS X version? If you are using Lion or Mt. Lion, try to reinstall by booting into the Recovery HD: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

And if you are using an earlier System, look for a Combo Installer on the Apple Support Page:

Have you tried to select your Videos and to update the previews?

Regards

Léonie

Mar 4, 2013 11:10 AM in response to US Kiwi

The one step I also did that I didn't mention before.

Once I reinstalled Mountain Lion which gave me the com.apple.xpchelper.cache file back.

I went into Aperture,

I checked that the movies would play.

Like Massimiliano1 the previews were still screwed up so I selected the movies option-right-clicked the movies and choose Generate Preview.

The Option button changes the "update preview" to "Generate Preview" in the menu

All is well.

On wither or not to reinstall. If the above worked, you are ok, but I would still recommend reinstalling the OS so you get your recovery partition back. Never know when you are going to need it.

Mar 9, 2013 3:52 AM in response to léonie

I'm downloading the OSXML 10.8.2 combo installer to reinstall OS. I have update the movie preview like written by USKiwi, but noe I miss some pictures. Some preview are missing some others are black. If I try to generate preview nothing happen and if I try to reconnect the picture to original Aperture says that the original is missing or off line, but this is not true. I have repaired the librrary with the command-option feature, but nothing changed.

I'm really upset and I have a strong desire to move to Windows again: this is hardly acceptable.

How can I try now?

Mar 9, 2013 5:48 AM in response to Massimiliano1

and if I try to reconnect the picture to original Aperture says that the original is missing or off line, but this is not true.

Massimiliano, are your originals referenced or managed?

If they are referenced, outside the Aperture Library, and you know where they are, you should be able to reconnect them by selecting them and using "File > Locate referenced Files". Wheer do you see the offline message?

Mar 9, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Massimiliano1

And below the corrupted preview you see the path where Aperture is looking for the original file.

User uploaded file

Are your originals at the location Macintosh HD/Users/imac_27/Pictures/foto di famiglia .... ?

If yes, have you tried to select this path in the file choser in the lower part of the reconnect window by clicking on "Macintosh HD"? if you can find the image there, the reconnect buttons should become active.

Mar 9, 2013 7:58 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

I've connected an old HD on which I have stored my odl pictures and relocated them from the external HD. Now I'm generating new preview.

Now my question is: are this files only in the external HD or have been imported in the Aperture library again? And if not there is a way to find out which files are not in the Aperture library and import the as managed files?

Mar 9, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Massimiliano1

I've connected an old HD on which I have stored my odl pictures and relocated them from the external HD.

They will be, where you relocated them to. What destination did you select?

If you want your images to be managed, don't relocate, but select them and consolidate. Consolidating will move them into the Aperture library.

To find out, which images need consolidating, define smart albums:

File > New > Smart Album

Then add a rule: FIlestatus is Referenced (or offline or missing, if still images are missing)

Set the source of the album to "Library"

User uploaded file

This album will contain all your referenced images, that need consolidating.

All my movies in Aperture show as corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.