Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Way to delete files off my Classic II without the mouse?

The time has come to recycle my old Classic II. I started it up without trouble but I can't find the mouse, all I have is the keyboard. Is there a way to delete my files off the hard drive without using the mouse? I don't have any system disks either.

I'd like to send it off without my personal info on it if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 1:19 PM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2013 7:05 PM in response to Jeanine3

Hard to say without knowing your Mac OS version, but try pressing the OPTION key five times to turn on "Mouse Keys." Try the numeric keypad 4, 8, 6, and 2 to see if the cursor moves after activating. I thik 5 acts as a mouse click.

However, it's been a VERY long time since I've tried this on a pre-OSX Mac, so it's a long shot.

If that doesn't work, there are two sources that are good for old Mac pasrts;

1) Your local Mac User Group ("MUG"). This website will direct you to the one nearest you:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

2) Schools: Some educational institutions still have old stuff hanging around you may be able to borrow or beg.

Mar 3, 2013 7:28 PM in response to Jeanine3

It is per se possible to navigate through the mere use of a keyboard, but only to a certain extent. One can quickly write a few letters of a file/folder name and then use keyboard shortcuts, et cetera. However, this is not enough for more complicated operations. Additionally, you would need a (formatting) utility with overwriting capabilities on a suitable startup disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta28141

I prefer not to mention that the computer can be opened, in order to remove and mechanically destroy the internal hard drive.

Since the Macintosh Classic II appears to have become somewhat of a collector's item, it would probably not be a bad idea to try to find an Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) mouse. Once a mouse is available, post back for instructions regarding software if you so wish (information about other computers that you have access to for downloads, Mac or PC, would help).

Jan

Mar 3, 2013 8:02 PM in response to Jeanine3

This should work in the article that Jan mentioned:

Keypad Mouse (Activate/Deactivate)

To set the keypad to control mouse movement, press the Command-Shift-Clear keys. The 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, keys control movement and direction of the pointer. The 5 key is the mouse button. The 0 key locks the mouse button. The decimal point key unlocks the mouse button.

However, assuming that your Classic II has a great deal of your personal documents/info, deleting every single file in this way would be a royal pain. The most secure option would be to boot off a startup disk with a hard drive formatter such as Apple HD SC Setup and initialize the disk. If you would be interested in selling the Classic II to me (I am a collector who doesn't own this system yet), I have an extra ADB mouse and startup disks with HD SC Setup that I could send to you.

Mar 4, 2013 2:49 PM in response to mtgmackid

I have tried all the keystroke solutions that you have all kindly suggested but the cursor doesn't budge.

😟

mtgmackid if you're serious, you can contact me off list and we'll figure something out. I'm too much of a newbie to this board to see where I can contact you so

Thanks for the help everyone!

<Email Edited by Host>

Way to delete files off my Classic II without the mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.