Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV will not play my iTunes library movies?

I have two Apple TV's (3rd generation) and they have been working great until about two months ago. I have all my movies on my main iMac itunes library that is in a different room then the Apple TV's. I have home sharing turned on and I have a great internet connectiong of about or around 12 megs - 13 megs. The Apple TV's will connect to the local network and play Netflix and Hulu and YouTube just fine.

But when I go to the computers app and try to reach my iTunes library it will take quite some time to actually connect. Then when it does connect and I go to watch a movie that I want that's in my library. It will just show the thinking spinning circle for about 20 minutes before it will start to buffer. When I let it spin it can take an upwards to 20-30 minutes before it will even start playing the movie. That is if it will even start to play, sometimes it will just say, "Cannot connect to your library."

I have tried keeping the iMac on, and resetting the iMac and iTunes. I have even restored the Apple TV's to factory settings and then reconnected them through homesharing. But still the same thing. I have even purchased the AirPort Express and that has not helped either? I've reset the router a couple of times and still no luck?

Again, it worked great a couple of months ago and then it just stopped? I don't know if I'm missing a setting or if I'm missing a step. But I can't find anything that it has been happening to anyone else. I have been looking at forums and I feel like I am the only one out there with this issue. All of my software is up to date. I check on an almost daily basis.

It just seems like my Apple TV's and the iTunes library are not reading each other properly. I'm about to through these through the wall.

Please Help..... 😢

Apple TV, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 2:59 PM

17 replies

Mar 3, 2013 3:35 PM in response to BiggMurr

This kind of thing is incredibly frustrating.

I had a similar issue last year - there was a problem with iTunes having too many open connections detailed on various threads.

Unfortunately what cured it for me was restarting my router which had been rock stable prior to that.

You've done this and tried an Express.

How are your devices connected? All wired, all wifi, mixture?

Single router? Extenders etc?

It could still be possible for your AppleTV to have good internet access via the router but a poor/slow overall connection via the router to other local LAN components. Anything changed?

AC

Mar 4, 2013 6:30 PM in response to BiggMurr

I just picked up my first Apple TV (Gen3) and have been experiencing the exact same thing as the OP. I too have tried the same solution attempts with no success.

The thing I don't understand is why I can stream web based content just fine, but local content (i.e. iTunes Library), just stops at the spinning wheel.

I've also double shecked my video content is encoded correctly. It plays fine on the local machine (Mac OS 10.8.2).

I've done a fair amount of Googling this and it doesn't seem to be a very common problem. Very frustrating.

May 23, 2013 8:33 AM in response to BiggMurr

Yep, I have it too. Hard to believe more people are not seeing this.

My iTunes mp4 files are on a NAS drive and linked to iTunes (version 11.0.3.42) in a home shared library on an XP PC. NAS files play on PC either through iTunes or directly using native QuickTime (version 7.7.4). However if I home share from another computer then I get exactly the same "no play" problem as on Apple TV whether using iTunes or QuickTime. Does this provide further clues?

May 28, 2013 4:04 PM in response to BiggMurr

I've been having this problem just in the past couple weeks on an Apple TV (gen 3). It's hit or miss with my itunes library movies. Some of my movies will buffer incredily well and others won't hard buffer at all, so I have constant stops while viewing. I agree with pior posts, frustrating that my internet based viewing is better than the media/content on my LAN.

Also, not sure if this is related but for a good 6 months my Apple TV has been trying to update and it always fails.

Jul 4, 2013 11:46 AM in response to BiggMurr

I have had this problem for 6+ months. I have a 2012 Mac Mini i7, 2012 Airport Extreme, 2nd Gen Apple TV, 3rd Gen Apple TV. If I fully close and restart iTunes I can play my movies. With in 5 minutes of opening iTunes (Not constently) I'll end up in the never ending cycle of buffering.

I just went through all of my devices and restored to orginal settings. I haven't had an oppority to really test things out yet.

I do have a question for everyone that has posted. Most of my library is ripped from my DVD collection using a ripper and Handbrake.

Part of me wonders if Apple is doing something to hinder usage since I did not purchase my movies direct from Apple.

Does anyone else have all or parts of their collections from their own ripped libraries? I wonder if this is our issue

Jul 20, 2013 3:46 AM in response to BiggMurr

I've been having this problem as well since the last AppleTV software update. Things won't buffer at all from my iTunes library, or they buffer exceptionally slowly. My iMac is connected via Ethernet to the router, and the AppleTV is connected wirelessly, maybe eight feet from the router.

The only solution I've found seems to be the simplest -- I reboot the AppleTV by unplugging it from the power cord for a few seconds. Once it reboots, it seems to work fine again, for a while, at least. I've done this several times, always successfully.

Aug 1, 2013 2:35 AM in response to BiggMurr

I only update AppleTVs when I want to.

Most of mine were on 5.0/5.1, but one got inadvertently updated to 5.3 and the other I'd updated to see what Qello offered.

Since updating the AppleTV3 it constantly disconnects when starting playing a movie saying Home Sharing is not enabled. Within a few secs Home Sharing is back again, and I'll get a little further with the movie and it bombs out again. After 3-4 attempts it plays ok.

Very frustrating and does not seem to affect other services such as Netflix so seems unlikely it's a wifi dropout.

Router/iTunes restarted and doesn't really help.

AC

Jul 7, 2014 8:12 AM in response to BiggMurr

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I was having the same problem (movies from iTunes wouldn't seem to load on ATV and they just kept spinning) and just fast forwarding the movie a for a second allowed me to watch it. It looked like nothing had buffered and I just decided to try and fast forward it and the video began to appear, and then when I played it it worked perfectly.

Like I said, don't know if this will help anyone but it solved the problem for me. No restarts of anything required.

Cheers

Apple TV will not play my iTunes library movies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.