Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off voice notification on macbook pro

How do I turn off the annoying voice notifications that interupt everything?!

I am getting frustrated!

DC

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 6:06 PM

11 replies

Jun 15, 2014 8:17 AM in response to hotmdc

I'm with calfroper...I've tried everything to turn off the hourly time notices. I turned it on about a month ago for what I thought was just a couple of days, but I can't turn it off. All of the suggestions here (and other blogs) don't work. For example, on my MBP, there are no settings to in the Dictation and Speech mentioned by LearnitJack nor is the anything in Accessibility mentioned by leroydouglas, etc., etc., How do I turn this annoying voice prompt off?

May 11, 2015 6:40 AM in response to hotmdc

Thought the voice alerts would be fun but as others found they turned annoying in no time and I could not shut them off.

Some of the comments above got me in the general direction but not quite there...Finally found the solution:

System Preferences / Dictation and Speech / Text to Speech tab / uncheck 'Announce when alerts are displayed'

and that shut bloody Hal up!!

Jan 23, 2016 9:21 PM in response to rentsboy

PLEASE IGNORE MY ABOVE REPLY – IT IS INCOMPLETE.

I think this works:

I accidentally turned-on Text to Speech (I’m not sure how).

I tried to turn it off as it endlessly reads everything that happening on my laptop.

The above fixes didn't do anything: it continued to read everything on my laptop.

I then did this – go to System Preferences > Dictation and Speech > Open Accessibility Preferences [the bottom line on the Dictation and Speech page – beside To change Voiceover settings before it] > uncheck Enable Voiceover.

I think this did it – it finally stopped reading and disappeared.

I’m running Yosemite 10.10.5

turn off voice notification on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.