Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on Boot Camp (Windows 8) red light in the headphone jack ?

I have a MacBook Pro 9.2 (i7 3rd gen, HD4000, 750GB, 8GB) and i install Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I have a issue with my headphone jack only when i use BootCamp i have the latest driver for it (download from bootcamp application OSX). I see that inside of the headphone jack there is a red light i think that it is the optical out of it. I try to reinstall the driver no succes. Now i need help to fix it

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Windows 8 Sound problem

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 7:03 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2013 9:16 AM in response to AsianBro

The red light means you have jammed the digital audio jack by inserting an analog plug too far. It is not a BootCamp issie--can happen to people without BootCamp. Here is the reason for the problem I posted in another thread:

Background, or "why this happens": the audio-out port on a modern Mac is digital and is held to high dimensional standards. Most headphones have an analog plug not made to such standards. The specific issue is the the "tip-to-stop shoulder" distance on many analog plugs is just a bit longer than on a digital one and jams the "mute" contact inside the port in the muted position. <deleted>'s advice to insert a plug and gently wiggle it in the horizontal plane is exactly on target unless you are under warranty, which would still necessitate a trip to an Apple store for service.

The best action is prevention. When connecting headphones (or external speakers), put on the headphones and have an audio track running BEFORE you insert the plug. Insert the plug slowly, listening for sound on both channels and, when you hear it, STOP INSERTING.

Bottom line is you do NOT want to insert any random plug "to the hilt" until you know it is dimensioned to fit a digital port.

My MacBook Pro has the same jack. I have a pair of decent-quality, name-brand headphones and their plug is not to spec. This picture shows their plug in the port at a position that delivers proper sound and does not let the plug fall out:

User uploaded file

Note that the shoulder is about 1/16-inch from contacting the computer case. It is secure in this position.

Every plug is different. I have a pair of El Cheapo external speakers I picked up for US$2 at a yard sale and their plug fits perfectly on my Macs with a digital audio port. Go figure!

Mar 4, 2013 6:07 PM in response to AsianBro

If the contact is jammed, it should be the same whether you are in Mac OS or Win. It should be covered and the store shold know how to fix. Tell them the computer won't "unmute" and that there is a red light glowing in the port. Saying any more will confuse the issue.

However, you can still try the "plug wiggle" thing and it may save you a trip. Most people are ale to free the contact that way. Just remember: be gentle and move the plug ever so slightly in the horizontal plane.

No sound on Boot Camp (Windows 8) red light in the headphone jack ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.