Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod shows no music + other problems

I have an 80GB iPod Classic, I have the latest version of iTunes, I am running Windows 8.

Last night I synched my iPod to iTunes as I do occasionally.

This time, for no apparent reason, I decided to tick the box to manually update, and to use the ipod as an external drive (sorry I forget the exact wording). I basically did this to see what would happen - I was not expecting the results....

On completing the synch, I disconnected properly and then found that the ipod said I have no songsI

It should have around 27GB of space available, it now says I have about 5GB.

All that is available to me are some photographs and the 3 games that were preinstalled - there are no games missing.

All the space is shown as being used by "Other" rather than songs or movies etc.

Itunes will run OK when I don't connect the iPod.

When I connect the iPod to the PC, iTunes then freezes, it shows in Task Manager as not responding. If I use task Manager to end iTunes, iTunes then will not restart.

I have followed the Troubleshooting Assistant as best as I can - I have Reset the iPod, I have tried different USB port - I do not have another cable to try but I do not believe that is the problem anyway. I have restarted the computer numerous times - that is the only way I can get the iPod to say it is safe to disconnect. Sometimes, particularly after iTunes has frozen, the computer will not shut down properly and I have to just switch it off.

I have also restored the computer to a restore point from a couple of days before this problem started.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes.

The iPod does show as a device with removable storage in Computer, shown as "Removable Disk", but I cannot access it all from there. If I try to open it in File Explorer that program just hangs. I have copies of all my music etc so I would be happy to format the iPod but I cannot do that because I cannot access it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions that do not involve me throwing either the iPod or the PC out of the window....

Thanks in advance

iPod classic, Other OS

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:37 AM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2013 11:38 PM in response to davegooch

Just to add a little bit to the history - the iPod hasn't been 100% perfect before this. On occasion it has locked up requiring me to just wait for the battery to run flat - this was before I looked on here and found how to reset it - but when it restarted it was always fine.

Also more recently - I think since I upgraded to Windows 8 from Vista - every time I have gone to disconnect the iPod from iTunes, it has not allowed me to, saying files are in use elsewhere, so the only way I have been able to diconnect has been to "eject" it via the "Computer" page.

Ipod shows no music + other problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.