Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVDSP run under Leopard?

Hi!

I've been combing eBay for a copy of FCS or FCS2 and been researching how DVDSP 3 or 4 runs under Leopard before I purchase. Unfortunately I see a lot of folks that have had issues running DVDSP 3 or 4 (FCS or FCS 2) under Leopard.

Essentially, I am currently running 10.5.8 on a G5 1.8 DP and I am looking for a version of DVDSP that will run under this so I don't have to use a dual boot system just to burn DVDs. Is there a version of DVDSP that will run under this configuration, or do I have to buy an Intel Mac?

Additionally, if I do buy an Intel Mac, can I get away with a MacBook to run DVDSP and FCP and save the heavy lifting of Motion and/or Color for a desktop?

Thanks!

Dual 1.8 G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:32 AM

I don't have any significant experience with Leopard other than on a Mac Pro, but I've had full FCS2 installs running on 2.5GHz G5 dualies (Tiger) since it was released and have both FCS2 and FCS3 running on Snow Leopard flawlessly.

Apple says you need an Intel processor to run FCS3, but the Get Info for FCP7 says the code is universal and therefore it may run on a G5. Irrespective of that, DVDSP4 should run fine on your G5.

As for what you can "get away with" on a MacBook, you may find that the lack of firewire on recent MacBooks a problem. Additionally, I'm not sure about the video support. The MacBook Pro is a better choice, but more expensive. You may want to look into a used Mac Pro as an alternative.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Chaz1138

I don't have any significant experience with Leopard other than on a Mac Pro, but I've had full FCS2 installs running on 2.5GHz G5 dualies (Tiger) since it was released and have both FCS2 and FCS3 running on Snow Leopard flawlessly.

Apple says you need an Intel processor to run FCS3, but the Get Info for FCP7 says the code is universal and therefore it may run on a G5. Irrespective of that, DVDSP4 should run fine on your G5.

As for what you can "get away with" on a MacBook, you may find that the lack of firewire on recent MacBooks a problem. Additionally, I'm not sure about the video support. The MacBook Pro is a better choice, but more expensive. You may want to look into a used Mac Pro as an alternative.

DVDSP run under Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.