Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with Retina Display heat question.

Hello...

Recently, I was using my macbook for gaming, seeing how I'm still in school and need to cut back sometimes, and I noticed that the temperature for the CPU would be incredibly high. This is while using bootcamp.

For example, I was playing DmC devil may cry and the CPU would be 95-98 degrees Celsius! I think that this is extremely high, seeing that the max is 105 Celsius and the CPU usage was below 20%! And on normal usage of windows (which I use scarcely), the temps would easily reach 60 degrees. I like to consider myself a perfectionist, and I deal with anxiety and a lot of that business, so this problem has got me extremely uneasy. I would also like to point out that on Mac OSX, the highest temp on normal usage would be 41 degrees celsius (GPU diode). So, my real question, or let me say questions, are:

--------------

*Is this normal?

*Does this affect my laptop in the long term?

*And are there any tips for avoiding any complications due to gaming?

--------------

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance to any answers...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:33 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2013 11:38 AM in response to MrTheBigBadMe

When you play games that requires a high performance, your Mac needs that the hardware works at its maximum performance, in your case, the graphic card. This generates heat, so it's normal that your Mac gets hot, but it mustn't reach 100°C.

If you keep your Mac at an extreme temperature (more than 80°C), you may have problems with the Mac in the future because this may madam age the hardware. Apart, do you see if fans turn on automatically when the computer gets hot? In your case, I recommend you to install smcFanControl and set the fan speed to 2000 rpm. This will keep the Mac cooler and it will cause less harm in the future. Also, if you see that your Mac is more than 80°C, you should leave using it

Mar 4, 2013 12:27 PM in response to MrTheBigBadMe

When you are playing these games what do you have the computer on? A flat surface? A bed? You need to use the comp on a flat surface making sure that nothing is blocking th events on the bottom this will make sure it is getting good airflow. My temps don't reach that high when gaming, but I don't play DmC. Try disabling graphics switching in Mac OS X and see what your normal idle GPU temp is.

MacBook Pro with Retina Display heat question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.