Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the rMBP extra sensitive to scratches?

Hello everybody,

When I bought my rMBP all was fine and dandy. Within a week I bought the Crumpler 15" Slip, hoping it would protect my screen from any scratches and stuff. After I bought and started using the slip I suddenly found some scratches on my screen. At first I thought it was a dead pixel but the guys from the Premium Reseller said it was a scratch. They wouldn't replace my screen, because scratches on the screen weren't part of the garantee.

Frustrated I went home, I payed 2500 euro's for my rMBP (incl. AppleCare). That said, a week later (still using the Slip) a big *** black beam running from the top to the bottom of the screen:

User uploaded file

So now they would replace the screen at my Reseller. I was happy, the scratched "pixel" was replaced too.

A month later the same thing happened, a scratch in my screen. I didn't use my kitchen knife and started scratching the surface of my screen... This all started to raise some questions in my head. I found this article from Apple for example:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

Prior to this rMBP I had a MBP 13" and it survived a nuclear disaster without leaving a scratch (a "little" bit exaggerated). For real: I had it for 3 years, no scratch on my screen.

Now I'm a graphic designer and I need my screen to be spot on clean. The scratch is located in the middle of my canvas in i.e. Adobe Illustrator. To check if my colors are right, I always have to move the canvas around. Very frustrating!!

My question(s) to you all:

Are the rMBP screen more sensitive to scratches. Is a breadcrumb enough to create such a deep scratch that shows that well (like I said, looking like dead pixel)?

Is a scratch, that withholds me from doing my job efficiently, part of the AppleCare garantee?

Thanks everyone,

Merijn

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:18 AM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2013 9:13 AM in response to MPWEHENDRIKS

I also have a dead pixel sized scratch on my rMBP. Just found it today. Middle of my screen and anyoning. I'm sure I will get used to it but after paying $3000USD for it just 3.5 months ago has got me fustrated. I got this screen because I am photographer and wanted that extra resolution. This screen does seem more sensitive than others I have had. My previous laptops seem like they went at least a year without a nick in the screen.

As for the AppleCare portion of the question, I am not sure. Would love to know.

Best,

P

Is the rMBP extra sensitive to scratches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.