Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos taking up too much space

I have 300 photos on my iPhone 5 and it says that it's taking up 7GB of my storage. I checked with a friend and she had 1000 photos, on exactly the same memory capacity, yet it was taking up much less on hers. Please could anyone help me?!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:27 AM

14 replies

Mar 4, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Sophhhhhh

If you are talking about Camera Roll photos, try this.

Import all Camera Roll photos to your computer.

Delete all photos and video from camera roll.

Check if you free up storage memory.

Make an album/folder and sync them back to your iPhone.

Keep and backup the photos on your computer because these are the original files. iPhone syncs an optimized version of these photos. Are smaller that the original ones.

Tell to your friend to do the same. Use you Camera Roll as a digital camera card. (Copy to computer and empty the card). You will free up space from your iPhone and from iCloud backup (if you use it). Your iPhone is not a storage/backup device.

Jan 5, 2015 8:48 PM in response to Sophhhhhh

same problem here, and it's making me crazy! My husband's phone won't even let him use the camera, it's so full. So I'm trying to make room. The "usage" page in the settings (on the iPhone) says his photos and camera are taking up 5gb. Broken down into 1.7gb in the photo library, 3.1gb synced from iTunes, and 200mg total in photstreams.

First thing I did was plug into itunes and empty the camera roll. So he has ZERO pix in his camera roll. iTunes says it is syncing 500 pictures. But that bar at the bottom that shows how much space things take says he has 1800+ photos taking up 5.3gb. it makes no sense!! Even if I turn photstream off, and unclick the "sync photos with iPhoto" (in iTunes) and have an empty camera roll, it says there are several gigs worth of pictures. It seems to be like the yellow "other" bar- just getting bigger and bigger for no reason.

I've been working on this for 3 hours and haven't gotten anywhere. Please help!!

Feb 22, 2015 12:24 AM in response to Alexroet

I'm having a very similar problem. There are definitely NO photos on my phone. All Photo Albums are 100% empty, including the "Recently Deleted" album. When I connect my phone to iTunes the storage bar says I have 1323 photos (3.27GB) on the phone. When I use the Settings app on my phone (under Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage) the "Photos and Camera" app is apparently taking up 3.2GB of space, by far the biggest consumer of space on my phone. It's driving me crazy. And I can't seem to find any fix on the forums on elsewhere on the web.

Photos taking up too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.