Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Personal Hotspot, suddenly no longer able to connect

I have been Internet tethering between my iPhone and my MacBook Pro for over a year, today just out of the blue I am no longer able to connect, I removed all the bluetooth devices and all their associated data, then paired the device (the iPhone) without any issue at all, but once I try to connect, nothing, absolutely nothing, not even the bluetooth indicator. Cellular is on, bluetooth is on, and hot spot is on. Service provider package includes hot spot tethering.

These settings have not changed for over a year. Eventually after several attempts to reconnect the iPhone it displayed a strange unsupported error message, strange that it was functioning fine for over a year and then suddenly is not supported?

The iPhone and the MacBook Pro are only little over a year old. This is really frustrating, I really miss "Steve Jobs", I believe the quote was, "it just works"... well maybe not so much anymore.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2013 11:24 AM in response to HudsonLion

Confirmed once again today with my service provider that I have 4G and hot spot included in my data package. Tried to connect every way possible not luck? Just to make sure that I was not going crazy I connected through bluetooth with my iPad mini without any issues at all, connected with my New iPad (the Retina one) without any issues at all. But for some strange reason I am unable to connect using my 15 inch MacBook Pro. Weird thing is that my 13 inch MacBook Pro has not installed the latest software update from Apple and I can connect without any issues at all. Really strange...

May 23, 2013 5:25 AM in response to HudsonLion

Exactly the same as me mate. Ridiculous. Had been using bluetooth to tether my iPhone 3GS, 4 and 5 to my MacBook Pro from early 2011. Then all of a sudden it's stopped working. I don't know when exactly, but everytime Ive tried for the past few months now it hasnt worked.

Pretty annoyed as it was a feature I liked to use and thought was very handy as Im out and about often with just my laptop and phone and no wifi, but 3G on my phone. And with an unlimited data plan I was enjoying taking advantage of such a good feature.

I'm not one to normally moan about thing Apple or any other tech company to be honest, I appreciate things don't always work and occasionally go wrong, but this was a feature that worked perfectly for ages and now has suddenly stopped working. It reeks of Apple making another control based move unfortunately...

iPhone Personal Hotspot, suddenly no longer able to connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.