Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Time (Mountain Lion) won't play .AVI files.

Since all of you probably already know the information I typed in the headtitle, I have a question. So obviously .avi files can not be played on this version of Quick Time that comes with Mountain Lion, but, would buying a Quick Time Pro solve my problem? I'm ready to pay 30$ for the program, but first I'd like to know would it enable me to play .avi and all sorts of other video files? Ofcourse I read it does play all sorts of files including .avi, but I'd like to hear it from somebody who actually uses Quick Time Pro on Mountain Lion. Thanks for your help in advance!

Dino Sertovic

P.S. I already have tried VLC, I use it but that's not the solution I'm asking for. Nor that, nor other programs such as MplayerX. I'm interested only in Quick Time while it never breaks, deinterlaces my footy nice and is very simple and user friendly.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:09 PM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2013 5:38 PM in response to dinosertovic

You don't need to buy Quick Time Pro. Quick Time Pro is just a paid add-on to add features to QuickTime Player 7. You don't need the Pro features for just playing. The player in your Applications folder is Quick Time X. QuickTime Player 7 should be in your Utilities folder (which is inside yoir Aplicatioins folder). If it's not there, download it from:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923>

QuickTime Player 7 will play .AVI files if you install Perian

<http://perian.org>

then replace its A52 codec component

<http://www.techisky.com/answers/does-perian-support-ac3-on-mountain-lion-10-8-ho w-to-fix.html#more-120>

Mar 4, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

You helped me, but the thing partially solved my problem. I installed Quick Time 7 and I'm wondering:

1. Why does the program have that awful look like in Windows and it looked perfectly normal when I had Snow Leopard?

2. My footy doesn't get deinterlaced properly.

3. I didn't even install Perian, would it change anything if I install it anyway?

4. Why can't I make Quick Time 7 a default player for .avi files? I mean I tried, but it just doesn't work. Every secod time I try to opet .avi file it tries to open it in Quick Time X, which is unable to play .avi files at all.

Thanks for the answers man!

Mar 4, 2013 6:47 PM in response to dinosertovic

Perian (with A52 replaced) is needed for many .AVI files (especially for subtitles).

For deinterlace, select "Show Movie Properties" in Windows menu, select the Video Track, then the Visual Settings tab.

You should be able to make it the default. Select a file, Get Info (⌘F), set "Open with" then click "Change All". There any many different kinds of .AVI files, so you may have to do it several times.

Mar 4, 2013 7:58 PM in response to dinosertovic

Do you have MPEGStreamclip? If not, get it (free). Along with QTPro its my most valuable software. It will play and convert everything. Unfortunately, there a lot of "components" that are somethings necessary for QT to play back everything appropriately. Also, not all AVIs are the same, they come in different flavors. So you may have to add more than one component.

Quick Time (Mountain Lion) won't play .AVI files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.