Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is "Other" taking up so much more of my iPhone now as shown in iTunes?

Recently I've been getting messages saying my phone or iPad couldn't be backed up because there's not enough space and more importantly I can't update apps because I apparently don't have enough space. I enable iCloud backup for my iPhone recently since I was having syning issues with iTunes, my iPhone and iPad (my iPad was being backed up over iCloud). I've deleted a lot of photos, videos and less used apps on my phone -- I'm talking a couple gigs worth -- and every time I delete more content on my phone the more "other" grows as show in iTunes (13.89 GB currently--this was never more than 1 or 2 a most prior). The iPad is still at about 1 GB for Other.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2, 32 GB

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:10 PM

1 gb is normal, but a lot of other usually means corrupt data. you can try restoring from backup but if that doesn't work the next step is restore as new and manually add back your stuff.

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 12:59 AM in response to William Keele

Late follow-up:

Multiple Apple Store appointments in multiple locations after months and months, and I was given a new phone. They told me to not restore from a backup and would have to manually bring everything over to avoid whatever malicious bug caused the problem.

Many things were suggested. One was that maybe while updating a certain app, some important bit of code got corrupted due to a bad or inconsistent network connection, i.e. updating over an awful data signal. I live in Montana and I'm also traveling all sorts of place with little to no service. Thanks Obama! ; )

Hope this info helps someone else at least....

Why is "Other" taking up so much more of my iPhone now as shown in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.