Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my macbook pro connect automatically to my wifi network?

My macbook pro for some reason will not automatically connect to my wifi network when I am at home. When I am at work or at other places where I have already entered the network info my computer joins automatically but for some reason at home every time I turn on my computer or wake it up from sleep mode it asks which network I would like to join. It remember all of my network information because I never have to type in my password I just have to select the network but still if someone knows why this in and can please help I would greatly appreciate it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:41 PM

1: If your router has a "hidden network" then unhide it as the Mac won't keep asking and reveal you have one in other locations, thus forcing you to connect manually.

2: Check the time and date are correct and current, updated to your location in System Preferences.

3: If your router has WEP Encrypted, change it to WPA2 (AES) or open WEP, Mac's won't connect properly or to encrypted WEP as it's insecure and being made obsolete. WPA will also work but it's been cracked, so set a very long password it might help.

4: Lastly, go to your System Preferences > Network > Airport and Advanced > Airport and delete all your locations using the "-" minus sign. Then reboot the computer and connect manually and save the connection to your KeyChain when it asks.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2013 7:41 PM in response to Jerzilla

1: If your router has a "hidden network" then unhide it as the Mac won't keep asking and reveal you have one in other locations, thus forcing you to connect manually.

2: Check the time and date are correct and current, updated to your location in System Preferences.

3: If your router has WEP Encrypted, change it to WPA2 (AES) or open WEP, Mac's won't connect properly or to encrypted WEP as it's insecure and being made obsolete. WPA will also work but it's been cracked, so set a very long password it might help.

4: Lastly, go to your System Preferences > Network > Airport and Advanced > Airport and delete all your locations using the "-" minus sign. Then reboot the computer and connect manually and save the connection to your KeyChain when it asks.

Mar 4, 2013 8:01 PM in response to Jerzilla

If you erase all your connections in System Preferences > Network like I mentioned in #4 above, do you have to enter a password to connect? Then it's WEP encrypted.

WEP anything shouldn't be used, open WEP it allows anyone to do anything on your network and encrypted WEP is inseucre and Mac's are not connecting to it properly anymore.

Perhaps it's time for a new router, a wireless N with WPA2(AES) if yours doesn't have it.

WiFi security issues, at home and WiFi hotspots

Remember you can always get online with a Ethernet cable to the router, or to the modem if you reboot it after connecting to your computer (bypassing the router)

Mar 5, 2013 12:59 PM in response to ds store

Ds store. I also have this annoying loss of Internet problem since last update, although it recognises my wi-fi dongle. I'm desperate to get it fixed, I need Internet for work. I work away from home so can't use an Ethernet cable. I've read number 4:

However, I'm not sure where you find Airport and Advanced? Is that the side panel when you click on Network? (Sorry, my first Mac, so not too familiar with it yet). If I remove wi-fi, Ethernet, FireWire, Bluetooth and Ethernet or EN3 then reboot, will everything reappear except for wi-fi?

I've tried to work out how to connect manually too, but it doesn't appear to give me that option...

Im using a MacBook Pro with 10.7.5

Thanks

Aug 10, 2013 2:13 AM in response to Jerzilla

I had the same problem, but I was loathe to lose my list of preferred networks as I travel a lot and it's.... erm... extensive.

The alternate fix for me was to add a location, change to that location. Bam. Done.

>SystemPreferences >Network > Location > Edit Locations +to add.

I kept all my preferred networks intact AND solved the issue of Wifi not connectiong automatically.

Not sure what the root issue is -- I had no probelems until the upgrade to 10.8.4, and that bothers the geek in me, but having lost my Saturday Morning trying different solutions, I'm going to let that sleeping dog lie and be glad it's working. ;-)

Oct 1, 2013 6:53 PM in response to Jerzilla

Deleting all your preferred networks works - but there's an easier solution that preserves them.

1. Go to System Preferences > Network > Airport and Advanced > Airport

2. Turn Airport off

3. Scroll through the list to find your home network. For me it had mysteriously moved to the bottom of the list.

4. Drag it to the top of the list.

Hit OK and Apply to save your changes.

Turn WiFi back on and I bet your home network will reconnect lickety split.

Why won't my macbook pro connect automatically to my wifi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.