Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Liquid damage MacBook Pro mid 2012 13inch

Hello I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch mid 2012, I spit Mountain Dew all over it. After I cleaned it it wouldn't come on. Nothing was showing life so I opened the back plate and noticed a blue liquid on the back of the cases s on the motherboard/logicboard?. I wiped the little bits of water off and let it dry. And after a day I hit the power button and it comes on. But it wouldn't charge and always said the battery was full, also after about 10 minutes it shut down, after I reset the SMC the battery charged and the MagSafe no longer had a green light (orange light was on) but the problem still remained after 10 min it would shut down and when I pressed the power button it would try to boot then it would fail and shut down, but if I waited an hour it boots up? And then shuts down after after a few min. Can somebody give me advice or maybe pitch what could cause it to be like this? (Disclaimer hardly any Mountain Dew got in through the keyboard and there appeared to be only a few drops inside, from the back vents)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:51 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you spill any liquid into a computer, it's probable that the computer won't work anymore, and that's because the liquid has damaged the logic board of your Mac, so it works wrong.

The only thing you can do is to take the computer to an Apple Store or reseller to get your computer repaired. Don't expect a cheap repair, because the logic board is the most expensive part of a Mac. And next time, you should be more careful

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2013 10:51 PM in response to Pooled100

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you spill any liquid into a computer, it's probable that the computer won't work anymore, and that's because the liquid has damaged the logic board of your Mac, so it works wrong.

The only thing you can do is to take the computer to an Apple Store or reseller to get your computer repaired. Don't expect a cheap repair, because the logic board is the most expensive part of a Mac. And next time, you should be more careful

Mar 4, 2013 10:53 PM in response to Pooled100

Hi Pooled,

From an earlier post on this topic:

Spill Cleaning

And, don't think that just because it was two teaspoons and not a glassful that there is a difference.

Some liquid has just spilled into your Mac. What should you do?

Do

• Immediately shut down the computer and unplug the power cord.
  • Remove the computer's battery (if you can)
  • Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.)
  • Lay the computer upside down on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out.
  • Note what was spilled on your Mac.
  • Bring the computer into an Apple store or AASP as soon as possible.

Don't

• Don't try to turn it back on. Liquids can help electrical current move about the components of your Mac in destructive ways.
  • Don't shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
  • Don't use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).
  • Do not put in a bag of rice in as much as rice will get into the ports and optical drive and do further damage.

Soda is particularly nasty because of the sugar content which can over time corrode electronics.

Also, since the problems did not start happening until after you spilled the soda, then it is fairly certain that regardless of how much or how little went through the keyboard, it was enough to mess up your system. Take it to Apple!!!

Cheers,

GB

Mar 4, 2013 10:58 PM in response to Pooled100

That's the logic board. The problem is that near everything is soldered onto the logic board, so you can't replace only one part of the logic board. That's why the whole logic board has to be replaced, and with the logic board, all the soldered parts to it, as the graphic card and the processor, for example

Mar 4, 2013 11:16 PM in response to Pooled100

Hello, Pooled100. It sounds like you are trying to find a cheaper fix than just replacing the logic board. If you lived in the Bay Area I could point you in ther right direction to shops that repair logic boards rather than replacing. There is a power management chip that can be replaced that fixes many water damaged logic boards. This is a chip that can only be replaced by a shop that specializes in logic board repairs. Even the average tech shop could not do the repair.

Good luck in finding the right Tech shop.

May 12, 2014 5:35 PM in response to Pooled100

Taking to Apple is not a good suggestion in this scenerio. Apple still does not do any logic board repair which is more cost effective then logic board replacement. Nor do they tell you if they replace just the keyboard instead of the logic board. Keyboard failure is a possible scenerio instead of logic board when the computer does not turn on. Even Apple Authorized repair centers can't repair logic boards. Only third party repair centers that specialize in logic board repairs can do that type of repair. Like Amontz said. Shop around and you will find prices in the range of $300 to $500 which is much less than Apple's $600 to $1200 flat fee. Also, if your computer has a green or orange light and does not turn on, you can save even more money getting your mac to a reputable place that can replace the keyboard only. Many times the keyboard, which houses the power switch, can be replaced and the computer works again with, unknown to you, no damage to the logic board at all.

Liquid damage MacBook Pro mid 2012 13inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.