Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

graphics card upgrade Mac Pro 1.1 late 2007

Hello,

I want to upgrade the graphics card in my quad core Xeon/2.66, 1.1, from the original GeForce 7300 GT 256mb (for use with PS CS6 and iMovie 11 etc). I have two possibilities: the Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB or the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB.

I understand that my machine can't utililise more than 512mb graphics card VRAM, so is there any point my considering the 1Gb HD 5770? - Would the 5770 give any noticeable improvement in performance over the 8800 GT, given the limitations of my Mac Pro?

Thanks for any help...BC

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Twin 20" Apple cinema displays

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:27 AM

First there is no such thing as can't use more than 512 so stay away from who/where you read that.

You should get 5770 or later, getting a good CUDA card is next to impossible, otherwise I'd advise on GTX 570 w/ 2.5GB VRAM as those only support EFI64 and 10.8.2 which is a no-go.

The 8800 (mine still works) have a tendency to fail and cost almost as much as 5770.

Buy an SSD. Everyone does, I have it on all 4 systems. Keep just the OS there.

Use 1-2TB drives for your data.

Consider 8-core upgrade with 5355 Xeon if you need to double your bench scores.

OS X had trouble with more than 2GB VRAM, and that is the only restriction and it was an OS bug, not limited to yours or anyones.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Bill Carter

First there is no such thing as can't use more than 512 so stay away from who/where you read that.

You should get 5770 or later, getting a good CUDA card is next to impossible, otherwise I'd advise on GTX 570 w/ 2.5GB VRAM as those only support EFI64 and 10.8.2 which is a no-go.

The 8800 (mine still works) have a tendency to fail and cost almost as much as 5770.

Buy an SSD. Everyone does, I have it on all 4 systems. Keep just the OS there.

Use 1-2TB drives for your data.

Consider 8-core upgrade with 5355 Xeon if you need to double your bench scores.

OS X had trouble with more than 2GB VRAM, and that is the only restriction and it was an OS bug, not limited to yours or anyones.

Mar 5, 2013 7:16 AM in response to Bill Carter

It ought to be "zippier" I guess. I have a Mac Pro early 2008, so it's no spring chicken

but..you are running twin 20" Apple cinema displays (oh, you lucky man).So, yet, it ought to. Also, and I should mention this only in passing, get enough Ram. the Max display is 2560x1600, something like that, so yes, I'd go for it in a minute

just my opinion

JB

Mar 5, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Bill Carter

All the other posters are correct. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with an ATI 5770 card (with 1 Gb VRAM) and 28 Gb DDR RAM. What really made my desktop fly was getting an SSD for the startup drive and applications. Read my post here on that. Until Apple comes out with truly new Mac Pros, I'm holding onto this baby so as not to **** away over $3 grand on what they are currently offering. Tim Cook said sometime this year, but with their attention on the iwatch, who knows?

Mar 5, 2013 7:45 AM in response to tomfromdorchester

Very much obliged to you all. Will go for the 5770. My main system drive is actually a 240Gb OCZ SSD (Plus 3 1Gb backups) on which I have installed PS CS6 - so things should really fly when I get the new graphics card!

Also looking around for reasonable priced RAM (UK) to upgrade my current 8Gb.... like most other people, it depends on what I can get on a limited budget. Thanks again for all your help..BC

Mar 5, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Bill Carter

Be sure to put the Adobe apps on the SSD! It will truly scream! Also, what kind of monitor do you have? The ATI 5770 has two Mini DisplayPorts and one dual-link DVI port. If you have the latest Apple LED monitor you'll be fine. And most monitors in the last five years have DVI ports. Some even have Mini DisplayPorts. Jst make sure as you might need an adapter!

Mar 5, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Bill Carter

I have seen this Komputerbay stuff before, and have read one or two negative reviews (as well as positive). So what's the score there - why so cheap?...BC

It's the conversion rate. One Euro is equal to about US$1.30. The US dollar is very weak and the Euro isn't. So while you pay more, in equivalent prices it's about the same. We also don't have a VAT tax or online sales tax. Yet. Give our administration a few more years as rumor has it they want to institute an across-the-board online tax and divvy up the proceeds to the States.

Mar 5, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Bill Carter

That's about US$181. They sell new in the US for about US$249. Note in the picture has a wire in it. There should already be a wire from the previous card that you can simply unplug from the old card, take out the card, put in the new card, and plug in the cable into the new card. If your old card doesn't have a power wire, use the one they give you. There's a slot on the motherboard where you can plug it in. If memory serves me, it should have one (the old card). Hope this helps!

graphics card upgrade Mac Pro 1.1 late 2007

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.