Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina - Fullscreen video playback frame rate drop

My new MacBook Pro with Retina display is consideraly dropping the frame rate during fullscreen video playbacks. It seems that the issue happens when using Flash Player as iTunes Movie trailers seemed fine.The Flash Player has been updated to its lastest version but the issue still persists.

I do have a Genius appointment soon but meanwhile I would like to know if anyone else is experience this issue. If so, have you manage to solve it?

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH,EARLY 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:35 AM

Adobe Flash Player has always been a huge resource eater. Its 'normal' that it happens, as Flash is very very bad in Video playback. It takes alot of CPU and GPU resources. Alot of websites use it because there used to be no alternative, nowdays there is. And we can only hope that all websites switch to HTML5 video's rather soon, which performens alot better.

Till then I advise using the disgrete videocard (the nVidia 650m) when watching Flash video's, which you can easily switched with: http://gfx.io/ The frame rate drop usually only happens when using the integrated Intel HD 4000.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2013 3:35 AM in response to diegooriani

Adobe Flash Player has always been a huge resource eater. Its 'normal' that it happens, as Flash is very very bad in Video playback. It takes alot of CPU and GPU resources. Alot of websites use it because there used to be no alternative, nowdays there is. And we can only hope that all websites switch to HTML5 video's rather soon, which performens alot better.

Till then I advise using the disgrete videocard (the nVidia 650m) when watching Flash video's, which you can easily switched with: http://gfx.io/ The frame rate drop usually only happens when using the integrated Intel HD 4000.

MacBook Pro Retina - Fullscreen video playback frame rate drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.