Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Deleted Note from Notes App

Is there a way to restore a deleted note form Mountain Lion's Note App?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:04 AM

12 replies

Mar 5, 2013 5:21 AM in response to CT

I have a TM backup. Here's what happened; I was searching for something in Mail. Two items were found, but I could not see the mailbox they were in and I didn't realize they were actually in my Notes app, so I deleted them, they went to the trash, and I deleted them again from there. Then when I opened Notes I realized they should be there, but they were gone.

Mar 5, 2013 7:21 AM in response to CT

Here's what I did that worked:

I closed Notes, turned WiFi off, restored the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/ from yesterday, opened Notes, the deleted note was there, I copied the text, turned on WiFi, the note disappeared, I created a new note and pasted the text in there. A short time later the deleted note appeared in a recovered folder in Notes and On My Mac. Dear Apple, this should be much easier than it is. We should be able to open Notes, go into Time Machine, and restore anything regardless if it's on my Mac or on the cloud.

Jun 28, 2013 10:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. I found it. Something very strange is that even though I was able to scroll back through my Time Machine, the very next file indicates it was last modified on April 29th. I know I accessed Notes on my Mac over the last two months so this makes little sense. Shouldn't anything synced in iCloud automatically be updated on the Mac as well, whether I actually open the app or not?

I suppose the next step is to have a look via iTunes where the iPhone and iPad are both being backed up, unless the Notes database file is not being backed up since it is on iCloud.

Restore Deleted Note from Notes App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.