Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Firmware on Samsung SSD 840 on Macbook Pro (MBP)

macbook pro, samsung 840 firmware, ssd, samsung 840 pro, samsung 830 ssd

I spent hours trying to find this information

so I am posting the results clearly for people in the future:

Need to update your firmware on the Samsung 840 as of (3/5/2013)

then download this file:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsun g_SSD_840_DXT07B0Q_Mac.iso

**This file is the latest firmware from DEC/2012, you can check this page at the bottom to see if there

is any newer ones:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

And burn this to a bootable DVD from your superdrive

then boot from it by rebooting your macbook pro and holding down the "c" key

http://www.ehow.com/how_6782539_boot-macbook-cd.html

I found that trying to do this on a bootable USB is a complete waste of time if you can just

make a booatable DVD.

keywords:

macbook pro, samsung 840 firmware, ssd, samsung 840 pro, samsung 830 ssd

mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:02 AM

9 replies

Jul 25, 2013 2:16 AM in response to NycSnareDrumming

Samsung postet a new update (DXT08B0Q from May 13, released for Mac just the last days), unfortunately, if I burn a CD from the supplied ISO, it does not appear as startup disc in the startup control panel. Also, both holding "c" and holding "option" during boot fails to display the CD as valid startup disc during boot. I have an MacBook pro 15" and MacOS 10.8.4. Any ideas? Anybody succesfully bootet from the latest Firmware Image?

Jul 25, 2013 6:31 PM in response to limosus

I managed to upgrade the firmware recently, I am not sure whether it was the update you mention dated May 13.

It worked for using using the iso, i burned it using Disk Utility to a cd and then booted while holding down c, fortunately it did not corrupt any data either which was great.

Have you got a link for the update?

May 17, 2014 8:09 PM in response to NycSnareDrumming

I just purchased a Samsung 840 EVO to use with my older MacBook Pro. I have it mounted in a USB enclosure in order to make an image of my existing drive. I've been trying to find some way to determine the firmware version that I currently have on my 840 drive, but I don't see any way to get that information. I've tried Disk Utility and System Profiler but neither seems to show me a firmware version number. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to read the firmware version with the SSD connected via USB?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2014 8:40 AM in response to NycSnareDrumming

I too, had a heck of time updating my MacMini 2012 SSD840 firmware.

I have no superdrive and just the 840 plus original 1Tb HD.

For the record the current version is DXT09B0Q.

I was able to get a USB stick to boot up in Syslinux but it would hang and wasn't able to do anything.

I finally got it updated using the following method posted at http://www.ostreff.info/archives/49268 with some mods.

I want to document this procedure here incase that page ever goes down.

So I needed to find a way to be able to boot FreeDOS and run the DSRD1_0.EXE to do the update.

That was where rEFIt came into the picture, which is an EFI boot manager that is more advanced that the standard EFI environment that comes with a Mac (which appears to be an EFI 1.x environment).

And I needed a FreeDOS image I could boot from rEFIt.

I didn’t want the struggle attaching external devices, so I added 2 partitions to my internal HDD:

• A HFS+ partition for rEFIt that can boot SYSLINUX
  • A FAT partition for SYSLINUX (needed to boot FreeDOS)

Procedure

Download the required tools and firmware:

Create the extra partitions with Apple’s Disk utility:

• first create a 1G partition with an Apple extended journaled file system for rEFIt, so call it rEFIt for clarity
  • then create a 1G partition with a FAT file system for SYSLINUX and a FreeDOS image, just make sure that this partition is within the first 3 partitions (so make sure it is a primary partition), or you won’t be able to boot from it. Name it SYSLINUX

Setup rEFIt:

• Open the rEFIt-0.14.dmg image that you downloaded from the rEFIt site
  • Copy the „efi“ directory to newly created rEFIt partition
  • Open a command shell and go to /Volumes/rEFIt/efi/refit/ to run the enable.sh script
  • cd /Volumes/rEFIt/efi/refit/
  • sudo ./enable.sh

Get a bootable FreeDOS image from the UNetbootin site and install it:

• Run the app, provide the superuser password
  • Choose „FreeDOS“ as the distribution (version 1.0 at this time)
  • Type: USB drive
  • Drive: /dev/disk0s4 (or whatever the device you have you SYSLINUX partition on, check with diskutil list)
  • It will download FreeDOS and install it on the partition

Next, prepare the firmware:

• Open de iso file, you will find a BTDSK.IMG file
  • Open de BTDSK.IMG file, and copy the SSR directory to the SYSLINUX partition, so that you can access the firmware once you have booted in FreeDOS. (( the directory is now called DSRD))

Reboot, and press the Option key while hearing the „BOING“ sound at startup to boot FreeDOS:

• Choose to boot SYSLINUX (rEFIt)
  • Choose the default kernel
  • Choose 5 to boot FreeDOS Live
  • Once you get the A:\> prompt, change to C:
  • C:
  • cd SSR
  • run DSRD1_0.EXE
  • Follow the install utility (( The install utility did not run properly and generated and exception code ... grr. So i copied all the files/dirs from the

btdsk.img to SYSLINUX partition on the HD and renamed its .cfg file to Syslinux.cfg))

In my case, I had to power cycle the SATA SSD, but I couldn’t since it was internally, so the version check failed and it said it was unsuccessful.

After a reboot, the firmware version will be refreshed with the newest firmware version.

🙂 🙂

Upgrade Firmware on Samsung SSD 840 on Macbook Pro (MBP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.