Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano won't sync unless i reset PRAM.

Hello

I recently upgraded to iTunes 11. Ever since the upgrade I have not been able to sync my iPod nano unless I follow a specific pattern of time consuming steps. I have upgraded to 11.0.2, and I have sent in crash reports, and it seems 11.0.2 addresses the spinning beach ball I got when I connected my Nano. I am on an iMac that is a year old, witha 2.5GHz Core i5, 4GB ram running 10.8.2. iPod nano is running the latest available software as well.

When I plug the iPod in, it will sync the first time (after the procedure below) just like it is supposed to. However, if I let it sit and charge for a while, and try and sync my latest podcasts I get a message that tells me the iPod cannot be synced because it cannot be found. That's when I eject it, unplug it, and try again. The screen of the iPod shows "connected" for about 5 seconds, then shows "you can now disconnect you iPod", and it never appears in iTunes.

Restarting iTunes, restarting the computer, restarting the iPod, resetting the iPod, restoring the iPod and resetting the SMC/PMU do nothing to fix the problem when done individually, or together. The only success I have had is to reset the NVRAM (PRAM) and reset the iPod (Holding down the center button and the menu button) simultaneously. I've tried it without resetting the NVRAM, and I've tried it without resetting the iPod-- have to do them both. In fact this procedure works every time, and has become the only way I can sync the two devices, except for the random times that it just works.I have tried different cables too.

I should add that often the iPod will show up in the Finder, and not iTunes. However the upgrade to 11.0.2 seems to have addressed that issue. Now, if iTunes is not the active window, it will become active when I plug i the iPod, but just won't mount.

Now, I also have an iPhone 4 (running latest iOS), and it connects just fine and shows up like it is supposed to. Problem? it won't transfer the podcasts I want. I checkmarked the settings that allow it to sync podcasts, just like you are supposed to. Everytime I drag the podcasts into a playlist, the playlist disappears from the iPhone.

SO... it appears to me there are some issues with iTunes 11. Sure wish I could go back to the iTunes 10.x that worked the way it should.

Please, if anyone has successfully addressed this issue, I would appreciate some advice.

Brian

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:57 AM

1 reply

iPod Nano won't sync unless i reset PRAM.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.