Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app keeps crashing on iPad 2 - how do I fix it

I had been using Notes successfully for nearly 2 years, but last week one note appeared in the list twice and out of date order. I closed the app and then reopened it, however it crashed back to the home screen. Every time I try to open it the same thing happens, normally after less than a second.

I have restarted the iPad and I have resynced with iTunes and the problem is still persisting.

Please can someone help as I have used Notes to store quite a lot of important information.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 9:08 AM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2013 9:24 AM in response to Symo71

See if this makes a difference.

Quit the Notes app completely and reboot the iPad. Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the recents tray will appear with all of your recent apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

If that doesn't work, you could try restoring from a backup, but first things first. Try that now.

Mar 5, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Demo

I did exactly as instructed, the iPad automatically restarted itself after the logo appeared, but the problem with Notes still persists - on clicking on it again it crashed back to the home screen.

So, restoring from backup...?

I hope there is no chance that I lose things using this process. If the underlying index of Notes items is in a mess I am wondering how it can be fixed, as restoring from backup may just return it to the broken state. But I am willing to try...

Apr 7, 2013 5:28 AM in response to Symo71

I had the EXACT same problem and nothing worked. I finally fixed it by:

1. Shutdown all applications

2. Go to options and go to iCloud

3. Turn on ICloud for notes.

4. Create the necessary ID, etc

5. Shutdown your IPad

6. Turn it back on and start up notes

I did not want to set it to iCloud and I intend to turn it off soon enough, but for now my notes come up without any problem at all.

I hope this works for you as there seems to be no discussions on how to fix this particular problem.

Cheers

Notes app keeps crashing on iPad 2 - how do I fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.