Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire kext not loading. FW recording interface drops out

Macbook pro 7,1

OS X Lion 10.7.5

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Firewire recording interface

At any time my interface disconnects from the macbook. I then have to shutdown and wait 2 minutes before the interface will connect again. I have used other interfaces and the same thing happens, but not when these interfaces, or my own, are used on other macs.

I can see that AppleFWAudio.kext is not loaded when the intereface is connected. Only the standard OHCI kext loads automatically. I'm guessing that this may affect the stability of the FW connection under high load or for audio purposes.

I am a new mac user, and also not a coder of any sort, so terminal is beyond me. I need to know if there is a simple way to initiate a kext (which you should be able to do in my opinion), or if someone can provide me with the code i need, in full, to paste into terminal. A shortcut for this, or permanent solution would be nice too.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 9:33 AM

2 replies

Dec 20, 2013 6:15 PM in response to James Spatig

I'm having almost the exact same problem, with the exact same equipment, only I just upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro

Focusrite Saffire Pro- 14 (cuts out and now will not connect at all)

AppleFWAudio.kext says "not loaded" in System Report

Any leads?

The only reason I know to look at the FireWire driver is from following the Focusrite troubleshooting tips.

Firewire kext not loading. FW recording interface drops out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.