Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail and Address Book Syncing

For some reason when I begin to type in the name of someone in Mac Mail who I know is in my address book, the automatic search and suggestion does not happen. I am physically having to go into the address book and copy and past the email address. I have looked through the iCloud settings in both the address book and mac mail and it seems to be okay. Any suggestions please.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 9:56 AM

17 replies

Mar 5, 2013 10:23 AM in response to jtmschneider@mac.com

jtmschneider@mac.com wrote:

For some reason when I begin to type in the name of someone in Mac Mail who I know is in my address book, the automatic search and suggestion does not happen. I am physically having to go into the address book and copy and past the email address. I have looked through the iCloud settings in both the address book and mac mail and it seems to be okay. Any suggestions please.

Make that you checked this box. (Mail>Preferences>Composing)

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2013 7:34 AM in response to jtmschneider@mac.com

Before jumping to a reinstall, if your contacts are infact in icloud, go to your system preferences >> icloud and uncheck Contacts. Wait a moment or so and then recheck them. While it normally doesn't matter, quit both mail and contacts when you do this.

I just did a test and when iCloud wasn't properly synced, that panel is missing addresses. Although, the "contacts" entry is still there. So maybe this won't help, but maybe it'll kick things back into gear again.

Mar 7, 2013 1:02 PM in response to wjosten

I was on the phone with Apple support for an hour today; we did adirect link and downloaded file material that is being sent to the Apple Engineers to sort out. I'm suppossed to be contacted next week. the problem is in the actual user account.... when I made a test account and loaded in my iCloud account then Mac Mail worked perfectly. I checked the above article and it didn't apply to me as I don't have an alias address book in application support. On the positive note, I was really impressed with Apple support.

Mac Mail and Address Book Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.