Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing Samsung 840 on Macbook 2008

Hi,

I want to update my late 2008 macbook 5,1 with a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD. I bought the kit, and I can see, mount, and initialize the SSD. Unfortunately, installing Snow Leopard on it does not work. I am using the USB cable which was delivered with the kit. I can start the Disk Utility, and start the repair option to copy the current HD to SSD. The process hangs for a little bit, and then ends with "input output error".

Trying to use the timecapsule does not work either.

Can it be I need to update the firmware? I do not expect this to be a problem.

Can this combination work, or should I give up on the SSD?

thanks for any info.

Martijn

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:12 PM

1 reply

Mar 7, 2013 12:27 PM in response to mhabing

I decided to return the samsung SSD, and exchange it for Crucial M4 ...

no luck, exactly the same problem: Disk Utlity > Repair is not able to install. It seems that my macbook5,1 is not able to write/edit the partition map or the startup disk.

I have also tried to insert the SSD into the macbook, using my hdd from the USB connection, and tried timecapsule and a direct installation of Snow Leopard. No luck, it seems to get stuck on the same point of installing/writing/editing the partition table or startup disk.

At this point, I think the problem is in the macbook, maybe it's too old or what. I do not expect a third ssd will work, so I am returning the crucial and forget about it

Regards

Martijn

Problem installing Samsung 840 on Macbook 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.