Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Sign Into Ichat -won't recognize any password

Hi folks - A couple of days ago I woke my Mac (Imac 27" 2.8 ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.7.5) and had a message from Ichat (ver. 6.0.2) (which I always have open) saying AOL Instant Messenger password 'Ichat can't log in to ------username----- because yoir login ID or password is incorrect. I've tried every possible password it could be, but none have worked.

'Remember this password in my keychain' was checked, as well.

I went into preferences and changed the password there, but still the same message.

I downloaded an update to Ichat, but it wouldn't let me install it on my system saying it couldn't, even though the requirements for the operating system were several updates ago.

There's no option for 'forget your password?' to have it emailed to you or anything like that...

I've since downloaded and successfully run the latest version of AOL messenger, which is different than the Ichat I was using (which strangely enough, says AIM and AOL instan Messenger, even though it says Ichat in my applications folder and on the icon when I drag it to the dock).

However, the AOL Instant Messenger I just downloaded is not as good as the Ichat I was using..my video is vertical and squashed and lower quality and the sound is poor as well (on my end and the other users).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 12:49 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2013 1:47 PM in response to kamenliter23

Hi,

iChat 6 can use AIM names or Apple IDs issued by Apple (@mac.com, @me.com and @icloud.com endings)

AIM have a password Character limit which you can "bump" in to if you are using an Apple ID.

The limit is 16 characters.

If you changed your password at Apple (in iTunes or iCloud or App Store for instance) and it is over 16 characters you will need to make it smaller.

The AIM for Mac App should not get labelled 'iChat" anywhere.

If this is excepting your Name and Password it seems you are using and AIM registered name or the @mac.com type of Apple ID.

Do this:-

Have the Finder as the front App (listed in the Menu bar)

Us the Go Menu > Go to Folder and type ~/Library/Preferences in the dialogue box that appears.

In the Preferences folder find com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and drag it to the Trash

Restart iChat.

This .plist hold the "state" of the login to AIM.

AS the computer was Sleeping the Network connection were cut.

This can mean the .plist has info saying it is logged in where as the computer has closed the connection to AIM and the AIM server will think you are logged out.

Deleting the .plist and restarting the app will recreate the .plist from defaults in the app and refreshes the AIM Login.

User uploaded file
9:47 PM Tuesday; March 5, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 6, 2013 11:26 AM in response to kamenliter23

HI,

In Applications/Utilities you will find Keychain Acess.

Open this App.

In the top left hand section make sure the Login Keychain is selected.

Lower left highlight the Password listings.

The right hand pane will now show you a list of items concerning applications and possibly the app name and an ID used in that app.

You should have one that reads AIM: (Screen Name) (without the parentheses)

Double click this line to bring up the Info panel.

Click the Access tab.

Does this say it is allowing any App or is it Limited ?

If Limited is iChat listed. ?

Example of an AIM Screen Name that has been restricted to Adium.

User uploaded file

Also check to see if the Screen Name is listed more than once in the Keychain Access.

AS you say you can use the Screen Name in the AIM app itself I take it you can log in here ?

User uploaded file
7:26 PM Wednesday; March 6, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 6, 2013 2:06 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks so much! I was able to log in to AIM on the web as you linked to and there I was able to reset my password. I relauched Ichat (AIM) and put this new password in and it worked!

In Keychain access for AIM, it was as you have it in the pic, with 'Confirm before allowing access' selected and in the list for 'always allow access by these applications' the following was listed:

Ichat

Ichat (<----again)

imagent

internetaccounts

I didn't change anything there, but no matter I suppose, as I'm now able to log into Ichat.

Thank you very much for your very helpful and clear info!

- Justin

Mar 6, 2013 2:08 PM in response to kamenliter23

Hi,

No problem.

Thanks for letting us know of your success.

User uploaded file for the Points User uploaded file

User uploaded file
10:08 PM Wednesday; March 6, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 9, 2014 7:00 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

While this was excellent advice (in fact got me started in the right direction solving a similar problem), I found a couple of updates within Mavericks and Messges (which has replaced iChat) which should be noted. By simply adding my Apple ID password (which is longer than 16 characters) the Messages Preferences I was finally able to get my AIM functionality back. Attempting to do so through AOL resulted in a very cryptic error message that indicates you may have setup the user profile on a Apple Mac so it won't recognize your password or let you reset it - very annoying btw.

So for those of you who might have encountered a similar problem but are using Mavericks and Messages try simply updating your password in your preferences panel (see attached picture):

User uploaded file

Cannot Sign Into Ichat -won't recognize any password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.