Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio problems

I am having the strangest problem in iMovie 11: I drag an edited audio file into an iMovie project, but it won't play. I can see it in the timeline but there's absolutely no sound. I have checked in the Inspector panel and the level is at 100%; there is no ducking or fading checked; I've "normalized the volume - nothing. Probably even more astounding is that if I click on "Clip Trimmer" it shows up in the editing window. I can hear it; I can shorten it, but when I click "Done" and go back to the timeline there's no sound.

Any ideas?

Alan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:42 PM

9 replies

Mar 5, 2013 11:38 PM in response to Lysergic

Hi

Explain - Can't do that

Tell how I do - Yes

• I only use .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or Audio-CDs (.aiff 44.1khZ) audio in my projects in iMovie or FinalCut

• in iMovie'08 to 11 - I export out as "Share to Media Browser" and as Medium - to be imported to iDVD. Audio still there

All other as .mp3 etc - I convert to .aiff via AudaCity (free from Internet)

or if from iTunes - Collected into a new PlayList ===> to a standard Audio-CD (no .mp3)

and the I use these .aiff files in my projects

I have about ZERO percent problems with my Audio - even on the DVDs (as I make my movies to this)

Yours Bengt W

Mar 6, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thanks Bengt, but no. I converted the file to AIFF through GarageBand and still nothing. There are lots of other MPEG-4 clips in the show and most of them work fine. I can see the waveform in the iMovie window, it just won't play. It's almost like iMovie can't find the file - which is crazy because I'm creating new files and dragging them in - or that it is muted, which the Inspector tells me it is not.

Mar 6, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Lysergic

Incredibly frustrating: I can see the waveform in the timeline; I can lower the volume; I can move the file, and I can hear it in the clip editor, but it absolutely will not play in the timeline. If I drag the audio file into another project, it plays fine. So, I'm giving up. There must be some kind of corruption in the project. I will start a new project. Does anyone know how to take the photos and videos from one project and bring them into a new one? I've tried copy/paste using just a couple of photos but it doesn't work.

Mar 6, 2013 11:01 PM in response to Lysergic

I wrote this a time ago - anything of use ?

No Audio

Most common origin is use of audio from iTunes.

Work around -

• Select needed audio to one new playlist

• Copy out this as an Audio-CD .aiff (not .mp3)

• Use this in the movie-project

Other origins are

1. strange / alient file formats as -

• .mp3, .avi, .wmv etc

• Convert them into .aiff 48kHz 16-bit and use this

2. the Mac is set wrongly in regard of midi -

• Close iMovie and other programs

• Start GarageBand

• Make a new GB-project and play some notes

• Close GB and Save

• Now try iMovie again

3. No audio when playback in iMovie 1 to HD 6.

a. in iMovie pref. - deselect ” Playback via Camera”

b. in System preferences - see that Audio out is not set to zero. Mine often does this

without me knowing why.

4. iMovie’08 & 09 & 11

• Toggle audio-scimming by cmd-K

Stuttering audio and video

1. FileVault is ON - Turn it off

2. More than 50 audio files in a movie-project

Mix down to one audio clip

3. Project is stored on one (USB) external hard disk - should be a FireWire one

4. the External hard disk is not Mac OS Extended formatted - but

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange and this will not work for Video.

5. To little free space on internal boot hard disk.

I go for a minimum of 25Gb free space when project is imported and edited and this goes for

4x3 SD Video. For 16x9 HD my guess would be about 5 times more at least.

Neither Mac OS, iMovie or iDVD can address any other hard disk than the boot drive for it’s

scratch files. (Unlike Final Cut Express/Pro where You select scratch disk/s)

6. Network storage - DOESN’T WORK

Yours Bengt W

Mar 7, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Sorry Bengt. I tried all of your suggestions (some before and some after reading your post) but no success. Then I noticed that there was an audio file later on in the project with a yellow exclamation point - meaning that iMovie could not locate the file (even though it was in a folder with all the other audio files). I deleted that file from the timeline and then dragged in the same audio file, after renaming it, and so far everything is working.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

Alan

Audio problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.