Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had my macbook air stolen.

I set the four didgit recovery code and wiped the data remotely.

The police found and returned my notebook but all I get on Boot is a file icon with a quetion mark.

I'm backed up so the data is not the issue. The issue is the darn thing is a lite brick

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:10 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

10 replies

Mar 5, 2013 4:12 PM in response to dalefromriz

The system is purposefully designed such that a lock or wipe will require a visit to an authorized service center for resetting. This affords a last-ditch opportunity for the service center to recover any stolen devices for the legitimate owner. The downside is that the legitimate owner must submit the device for clearance of the locked state.

I'm sure you can appreciate the thought behind the practice. It makes the system more secure fpr their owners.

Mar 5, 2013 5:53 PM in response to SP Forsythe

I was in an authorized center when it happened. They told me to wait awhile and try the number again. I guess from here it's all up hill. I wiped the notebook useing my Apple account but I bought the notebook on E-bay. Hopefully I can find a way to revive the computer in Mecico City. I have one day. Then it's off the Baja California with a very thin lite dooor stop

Mar 6, 2013 4:32 PM in response to dalefromriz

dalerfromriz, I trust my things to the local Apple Store. I am convinced they know magic. Performed a little for me on Monday 🙂

Quick thinking on your part to wipe the data. Glad it's backed up too.

Now I am getting my copy of Missing Maual to learn how to do the remote wipe.

Please post back and let us know how it goes with the MBA.

Good luck!

I had my macbook air stolen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.