Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "split" iTunes accounts?

I have recently moved out of my parent's house for college. Previously, I shared an iTunes account with them (and I've invested much of my own money into this account). Now I want to "split" accounts, as it is currently linked to my mother's credit card. I highly doubt there is a way to legally do this, but I'm hoping there is. So, can I somehow keep all of the files from our iTunes account and move them to a new one (I've tried to download the content to my computer and switch accounts to my new one but then I must "authorize" with the old account)?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:07 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2013 5:18 PM in response to spectrum_

Take a copy of the full iTunes library, and copy it to the new computer you will be using. Delete the stuff that you don't want.

If you have any DRM-encumbered content, it won't play unless you authorize your machine to their account. Other than that, everything will play, although technically it is still associated to their account - there is no way to change that.

Jul 11, 2014 7:58 PM in response to spectrum_

Is it just music or do you have videos, ringtones or apps for iOS?

DRM protected music could upgraded via 'iTunes plus' to files with no DRM…

iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

There was the option to upgrade at a lower cost at one point in time (sorry it was years ago - I'm insure if this program is still active). This may be more accurate with the current state…

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/04/is-itunes-plus-gone-itunes-11-offers-drm-free-aud io-re-download/

Create a Smart playlist where Kind contains "protected". Use that to judge how much you have to upgrade.

The other option (also legal FYI) is to burn Audio CD's of the music & then re-rip it to your Mac. You must use the 'audio CD option' and when re-importing the tags can easily fail to look up in CDDB because the CD is not identical to a purchased one. I would burn as A full albums to give you a hope of tagging the files correctly. This is a painful solution, but it can allow you to play the music without the authentication issues. it also does not hurt to have backups of purchases on other disks - Apple cannot keep all downloads in the store (the rights holders remove them) so iTunes Cloud may not have files you purchased sometime ago.

How to "split" iTunes accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.