Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Mac running so slow?

I have a Mac book late 2010 and it has 4 gb of ram. I got mountain lion and now every thing is slow like Turning on takes 1:30 to get to the log on screen. Loging in takes 30 sec opening any programs takes 30+ secs. Do you know why this is the case? I have never cleaned up the computer besides emptying the trash. Is there other maintenance I need to be doing? Also I'm not sure if there is a defrag tool in osx? I'm assuming not? Can you guys help me figure out what is wrong?

Austin

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:21 PM

Take a look at this link, http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10798

6 replies

Mar 6, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Intructions

If this started happening without your having made any changes and without a warning of low disk space, then it's likely that the boot drive is failing, or that there's some other hardware fault. Back up all data immediately, then run the Apple Hardware Test.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Even if the test is negative, you should make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested more thoroughly.

Mar 7, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Intructions

Please list what you have done to diagnos this problem. You could have missed an item in the list.

The three top candidates:

1) not enough memory. Seems not to be the problem.

2) hd issues. Run disk utility -- verify disk & correct permissions

3) Some app is running away with processors.

Run activity monitor. Look for a process that is taking up lots of time.

be sure to

-- list all processes

-- click on cpu tab. with high to low

-- memory usage.

post picture here.

User uploaded file

-------------------------------

How to show us a screen image. Avoid personal identification.

command + shift + 3 Will take entire screen. You hear a click.

command + shift + 4 Lets you decide what to take. Mouse pointer changes. Move mouse to upper left corner of desire image. Hold down left mouse key where to start image. Drag mouse to lower left of where you want to stop image. Release mouse.

You will get a picture n.png file on the desktop.

one the forum input panel you will see the camera icon.

User uploaded file

click on camera icon.

another window will appear.

Make sure you have selected the from your computer tab.

click on Browse button

An open file panel appears. Select the file.

After selection a file, I have this screen showing.

User uploaded file

You will have to click on Insert Image. You may have to scroll down to see Insert Image button.

Why is my Mac running so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.