Skip navigation

Query: Long exposure RAW file from Canon G1X green.

369 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 6:14 AM by mhbc RSS
mhbc Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 6, 2013 4:51 AM

General info:

System engineer, Software Hardware suport, Unix 20years, OS X 7 years.

iMac 10.7.5 2.5 Ghz i5 : Graphic card AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Until the other day I have had no problems reviewing RAW files imported from any camera - Sony Nex - Panasonic G3 or Canon G1X onto my system nor with Preview nor Aperture.

But one RAW file of long exposure shows up 'Green' in Preview 5.5.3, Core Image, iPhoto & Aperture 3.4.3. Nothing wrong with the jpg file just this one RAW file. 

Using Canon's Digital Photo Professional both files are ok. The RAW file being similar to the jpg file. ImageBrowser also no problem.

Summary :

Canon Digital Photo Professional & ImageBrowser can handle this file. Apple programs can not?

Trying to adjust using any of the tools provided by Aperture, Core Image, iPhoto, Preview fail.

So why the green?

Other long exposure - but not so long - are ok. I took this night shot in preparation of the Comet thats due in 10 days from now. The last thing I need is green only RAW files when reviewing with Aperture.

Any one else have this problem?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,570 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 6:45 AM (in response to mhbc)

Since Canon and only Canon can handle the file (as best we know), I suspect they have baked something into the RAW that violates their own file definition, and have written their own RAW converters to handle this but have not shared it.  Since this happens with exposures longer than some still un-specific duration, I would look for an in-camera setting that affects long exposures.  Does your camera have any?  The one that comes to mind is some kind of automatic noise reduction for long exposures.

Other than that nothing comes to mind.  Sorry.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.