Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air gets hot very quickly

When just turning on the MacBook Air for simple task like YouTube, the MacBook Air gets hot after around 5 minutes. The fans will speed up alot, and I am using the computer on the bed. I know that sometimes when you place the Mac on the bed, it covers the hole for cooling, so I put it on my lap. When the Mac is hot, it is uncomfortable to put the Mac on my lap, since it is so hot.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 5:16 AM

YouTube is not as simple a task as you might think. Streaming media, especially Flash based media like Youtube, is quite processor intensive. The heat you are experiencing is very likely normal for the processes you are running.

Apple never refers to any of it's computers as "Laptop Computers", always "Notebooks" of "Portable" exactly because you are not supposed to use them on your lap. They are best used on a hard surface where air can circulate freely to help with cooling. If you are going to use it while in bed or on your lap, try placing a book or magazine between your lap and the computer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2013 5:16 AM in response to Kidsnd274

YouTube is not as simple a task as you might think. Streaming media, especially Flash based media like Youtube, is quite processor intensive. The heat you are experiencing is very likely normal for the processes you are running.

Apple never refers to any of it's computers as "Laptop Computers", always "Notebooks" of "Portable" exactly because you are not supposed to use them on your lap. They are best used on a hard surface where air can circulate freely to help with cooling. If you are going to use it while in bed or on your lap, try placing a book or magazine between your lap and the computer.

Mar 6, 2013 5:18 AM in response to Kidsnd274

You really should place the MBA where the air can flow around the entire machine. You body (lap) acts as an insulator inhibiting the dissipation of heat, You Tube may be simple but it does involve flash which will tend to stress the CPU/GPU thus creating heat.

Consider downloading from the Internet iStat pro which will enable you to monitor the internal temperature and fan speeds. In addition, if you open Activity Monitor and set it to 'All Processes' and '%CPU' to show values from high to low, you will be able to determine the specific applications that are responsible for heat generation.

Ciao.

Dec 17, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Kidsnd274

Kidsnd274 wrote:

so I put it on my lap. When the Mac is hot, it is uncomfortable to put the Mac on my lap, since it is so hot.

Your MacBook Air is a notebook, not a laptop

When you’re using your MacBook or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your Macbook on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your Macbook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the Macbook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case. This is why your Macbook is a notebook and not a laptop, additionally the monitors on Macbook notebooks do not lay flat as in the case of many laptops. Again, use a lapdesk if you want or plan on using your Macbook on your lap.

Don’t use your MacBook Air on the beadspread or pillow

Do not place your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat. Never place anything over your keyboard when operating in closed-lid (clamshell) mode. This can cause your computer to cycle on and off, which might create excessive heat and drain your battery. Use a lapdesk if you want or plan on using your Macbook on your bed or couch, or in your lap.

Use of your notebook on a mattress or pillow blocks your notebook from circulating air as it needs to, and can lead to overheating rapidly

User uploaded file

Lap desk for use with your notebook on the bed, your lap, or couch. Also very useful for removing wrist strain

User uploaded file

MacBook Air gets hot very quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.