Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading a 1.25 PPC Mac Mini to 1 GB of RAM from 512 MB-Is it worth it?

Is it worth it upgrading my 1.25 Ghz Mac Mini that currently has 512 MB of RAM to 1 GB? What i mean is, will there be a speed difference?

Thanks

Mac Mini: PowerPC G4-1.25 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 512 MB of PC3200 RAM, 40 GB HDD, Combo Drive, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, iPod Mini Blue 6 GB

Posted on May 18, 2006 4:32 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2006 5:17 PM in response to Mr. Macintosh693

That depends a lot on what you do. If all you do is read e-mail and browse the web, listen to iTunes, and maybe occasionly use AppleWorks or Microsoft Office, then it won't make much of a difference. But if you use your mini for photo or movie editing (iPhoto, iMovie, Photoshop), or software development, then it can make a big difference.

You can easily monitor your actual memory usage, using the Activity Monitor application (part of OS X), or by downloading the iStat nano dashboard widget.

May 18, 2006 5:35 PM in response to tilman

That depends a lot on what you do. If all you do is
read e-mail and browse the web, listen to iTunes, and
maybe occasionly use AppleWorks or Microsoft Office,
then it won't make much of a difference. But if you
use your mini for photo or movie editing (iPhoto,
iMovie, Photoshop), or software development, then it
can make a big difference.

Ok thanks. i do a lot of Photoshopping, iMovieing, and iPhotoing (i know, not words) most of the time it is all at once so it will be a useful upgrade.

Thanks for your input and fast response

Upgrading a 1.25 PPC Mac Mini to 1 GB of RAM from 512 MB-Is it worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.