Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac problems....HD??

Hi,

Can anyone please give me a clue as to what may be happening with my iMac early 2008.

The problem goes in this order:

Flash plug in crashes. Plug-in version 11.6.602.171 is installed. (reload keeps working)

Browsers crashes (mainly using Firefox 19.0 for work 'cos I have too, but also Safari and Chrome) reset keeps working

System crashes (run Disk utility) it says different things but here is an example....

Verifying volume “JBH iMac”

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid extent entry

Incorrect size for file WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7c1ea.html

(It should be 8192 instead of 1099511634962)

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

The volume JBH iMac was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Verifying volume “JBH iMac”

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

The volume JBH iMac could not be verified completely.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Repair with disk utility, and the problems start again.........

I have installed a clean system (twice) to no avail, everything is updated to the latest version.

I am thinking that the HD is beginning to fail, can anyone please advise?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

Finest,

J

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo 3GB Ram

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:45 AM

Check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the HD in Disk Utility, if it's not verified then it's failing. Backup IMMEDIATELY and plan to replace the HD. Also run DU from the Restore Partition of Mountain Lion and run Repair Disk, if any errors appear after running it 2 times get the HD replaced. Finally run Apple Hardware Test in EXTENDED MODE at least 2-3 times in succession, if any errors appear immediately take the machine in for repair.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2013 6:45 AM in response to Jonathan Hercock

Check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the HD in Disk Utility, if it's not verified then it's failing. Backup IMMEDIATELY and plan to replace the HD. Also run DU from the Restore Partition of Mountain Lion and run Repair Disk, if any errors appear after running it 2 times get the HD replaced. Finally run Apple Hardware Test in EXTENDED MODE at least 2-3 times in succession, if any errors appear immediately take the machine in for repair.

Mar 6, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Jonathan Hercock

If you do find your HD is failing under S.M.A.R.T. status you might consider a SSD instead of a regular platter drive. I have the 2.66.model of the same year and my SSD has given my old platform new legs. It is fast and responsive and all my data/storage is now on an external Firewire drive in a hot swappable cradle. By installing a SSD you will decrease the internal temps of the system and probably extend the life of the system. If it were my system I would put 6GB of RAM into it with a 240GB SSD. You can only get a 1.5 Gbs Link Speed but it is so much of an improvement over the HD you will not be looking for a newer/faster model. Mine rocks!!!!

Mar 6, 2013 9:13 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Many thanks, here is an update.....I think we have solved 1 problem and uncovered a second.

I have 2 RAM, original 1GB and an additional 2GB Corsair inserted about 6 months ago.

I switched the RAM around and ran Apple Hardware Test (extended mode), it gave the same error code as before, with the exception of the last group of digits.

I took out the 2GB RAM.

I then left inserted only the 1GB original RAM and ran Apple Hardware Test (extended mode - twice) it passed first time and then gave error: 4MOT/1/40000003: HDD - 1341.

Then I switched the 1GB RAM to the other Dimm and ran Apple Hardware Test (extended mode) wich detected error 4MOT/1/40000003: HDD - 1 407

Next I inserted only the 2GB RAM and ran Apple Hardware Test (extended mode) which gave error:

4MEM/2/40000000: 34a12000

The above reults indicate to me that:

The 2GB RAM is failing.

There is a problem with the HDD fan. (4MOT/1/400000003: HDD error code - net serch info).

For now I have reseated both RAM (as ML requires 2GB min), and I need to use the iMac.

Requested a replacement 2GB RAM from the vendor.

Would welcome any thoughts you may have on the 4MOT HDD.

I live in Rio, yesterday it was 38C and real feel of 47C - so running hot would not be a surprise.

Once again, many thanks for your kind consideration.

J

PS - Please post a reply as I should have clicked solved my problem for the RAM suggestion. Tks.

iMac problems....HD??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.