Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail is constantly freezing and does play well w/ Safari

I purchased my MacBook Pro new in Nov 2012. All software is up to date. OS is 10.8.2

Ever since set up (clone over from older MacBook Pro) I have had trouble with Mail. If I have Safari open and want to email a page to someone, it freezes up and when I check Mail icon, it reads 'PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING.' It will also freeze up when I am not using Safari, but I can ALWAYS count on 3-4 times for every use to have to shut down Mail.

I have reported over 90% of these when asked and NEVER have heard anything from Apple.

Anyone else having this problem.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Chris's Laptop

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 7:00 AM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2013 11:38 AM in response to hansfromnfm

Apple doesn't directly respond to crash or hang reports.

Please follow these directions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Quit Mail.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is resolved, you'll have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Mail is constantly freezing and does play well w/ Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.