Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleScript vs. Automator

First let me tell you that I'm still running 8.6, with the matching AppleScript. Gonna have my pawns on a new 17" iMac next week 🙂

Could someone explane me what the difference is between AppleScript and Automator? Both are designed to run certain tasks automatic? What am I mising here?

Cheers!

iMac Bondi blue rev B, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, 17" iMaciNtel within a week :-)

Posted on May 18, 2006 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2006 8:19 PM

Automator provides a simple method of accessing commonly requested tasks, and can transfer the output of one task to another; if what you intend to do can be done with the predefined Automator actions, it may be easier to use that than writing an AppleScript to do it. You can run an AppleScript from Automator if your task needs it.

AppleScript provides more customization options for a given task, and can be used with more applications.

(12354)
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2006 8:19 PM in response to Gnorn

Automator provides a simple method of accessing commonly requested tasks, and can transfer the output of one task to another; if what you intend to do can be done with the predefined Automator actions, it may be easier to use that than writing an AppleScript to do it. You can run an AppleScript from Automator if your task needs it.

AppleScript provides more customization options for a given task, and can be used with more applications.

(12354)

AppleScript vs. Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.