Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Machine with external drive plugged into Netgear router - how do I set it up?

Has anyone used the Time Maching with the external drive plugged into a Netgear router? If so I would really appreciate some directions. Thanks, Cash

MacBook

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 8:36 AM

Well, for one thing, you need to be more specific about what you need. I mean, if you have a passing knowledge of routers and drives, it's really little more than "plug and play" situation. Are you having a specific problem?

Aside from that, I too am looking for an answer somewhat related to this, tho not exactly. But that's why I clicked-in to see what the discussion what about. But you might be interested in this website that I ran across that deals with TM being used with external discs. Is yours connected via USB? If so, you might want to check this out:

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2013 8:36 AM in response to CashMcC

Well, for one thing, you need to be more specific about what you need. I mean, if you have a passing knowledge of routers and drives, it's really little more than "plug and play" situation. Are you having a specific problem?

Aside from that, I too am looking for an answer somewhat related to this, tho not exactly. But that's why I clicked-in to see what the discussion what about. But you might be interested in this website that I ran across that deals with TM being used with external discs. Is yours connected via USB? If so, you might want to check this out:

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

Mar 9, 2013 10:37 AM in response to CashMcC

...BTW, I just got a reply on my query of this subject from the folks I bought the external drive from (who shall go nameless) and this tech person said, in part: "Apple has gone back and forth on whether they support Time Machine via a network drive multiple times. The last I heard they do support Time Machine via a network drive."

So...beats me. I think it's time to ask the nephew who knows everything.

ab

Using Time Machine with external drive plugged into Netgear router - how do I set it up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.